Article <v6rafi$318do$3@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v6rafi$318do$3@dont-email.me>

From: "Fred. Zwarts" <F.Zwarts@HetNet.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: DDD correctly emulated by HHH cannot possibly halt
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2024 15:18:42 +0200
 <v6ori5$2fuva$10@dont-email.me>
 <56314b3bac257d0fc228c26f3c8c5eec40a87215@i2pn2.org>
 <v6q4cj$2r7qt$1@dont-email.me>
 <1fbe0efc5b030be11df07a930754d90ce56525be@i2pn2.org>
 <v6q7vo$2rvqi$1@dont-email.me>
 <03ba90ee0fbe42d2596ab18d6a5ca17ecdf1e921@i2pn2.org>
 <v6r7i8$30qtt$2@dont-email.me>

Op 12.jul.2024 om 14:28 schreef olcott:
> On 7/12/2024 6:15 AM, Richard Damon wrote:
>
> We stipulate that the only measure of a correct emulation
> is the semantics of the x86 programming language. By this
> measure when 1 to ∞ steps of DDD are correctly emulated
> by each pure function x86 emulator HHH (of the infinite
> set of every HHH that can possibly exist) then DDD cannot
> possibly reach its own machine address of 00002174 and halt.

Which proves that the simulation is incorrect.
A correct simulation is able to reach the end of a halting program.
To make a simulation correct and follow the semantics of the x86
language, it is incorrect to abort halfway a halting program.
So, your conclusion is not inline with the stipulation to use the
semantics of the 86 language as a measure of a correct simulation.

> _DDD()
> [00002163] 55         push ebp      ; housekeeping
> [00002164] 8bec       mov ebp,esp   ; housekeeping
> [00002166] 6863210000 push 00002163 ; push DDD
> [0000216b] e853f4ffff call 000015c3 ; call HHH(DDD)
> [00002170] 83c404     add esp,+04
> [00002173] 5d         pop ebp
> [00002174] c3         ret
> Size in bytes:(0018) [00002174]

>>> I didn't limit it to N. Is this your ADD? I say 1 to infinity steps !!!
>>> I didn't limit it to N. Is this your ADD? I say 1 to infinity steps !!!
>>> I didn't limit it to N. Is this your ADD? I say 1 to infinity steps !!!
>>> I didn't limit it to N. Is this your ADD? I say 1 to infinity steps !!!
>>> I didn't limit it to N. Is this your ADD? I say 1 to infinity steps !!!
>>>

>> So, I guess NONE of them ever stop before reaching the end, if none of
>> them stop before that.
>>

> 1,2,3... ∞ steps of DDD are correctly emulated is every
> HHH/DDD pair that can possibly exist when HHH is a pure
> function x86 emulator.

When N steps (with N = 1,2,3, up to ∞ , meaning up to an arbitrary large
number) are simulated and none of these simulations is correct, because
they all abort one cycle too soon, then the conclusion must be that HHH
cannot possibly simulate itself correctly up to the end. None of them is
able to use the semantics of the X86 language correctly, because that
semantics does not require an abort for a halting program.
(We see that other simulators can simulate HHH up to the end, but HHH
cannot simulate *itself* up to the end.)
This is definitely not a problem of DDD, but of HHH, because without
DDD, such as in:

        int main()
        {
          return HHH(main);
        }

We see the same problem.

The problem is that HHH is unable to see the difference between a finite
and an infinite recursion.

void Finite_Recursion (int N) {
   if (N > 0) Finite_Recursion (N - 1);
}

HHH decides that any recursion with more than two cycles is an infinite
recursion.
But two cycles are not the same as an infinite number of cycles.

Sipser would agree that a simulation that aborts halfway its simulation
is incorrect.