Article <v6rajl$30qtt$7@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v6rajl$30qtt$7@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: DDD correctly emulated by HHH is correctly rejected as
 non-halting.
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2024 08:20:53 -0500

On 7/12/2024 3:03 AM, Mikko wrote:
> On 2024-07-11 14:10:24 +0000, olcott said:

>>> However, each of those instances has the same sequence of instructions
>>> that the x86 language specifies the same operational meaning.
>>>

>> *That is counter-factual*
>> When DDD is correctly emulated by HHH according to the
>> semantics of the x86 programming language HHH must abort
>> its emulation of DDD or both HHH and DDD never halt.
>
> There is not "must" anywhere in the semantics of the programming language.

The semantics of the language specifies the behavior of
the machine code thus deriving the must.

>> When DDD is correctly emulated by HHH1 according to the
>> semantics of the x86 programming language HHH1 need not
>> abort its emulation of DDD because HHH has already done this.
>
> However, the program DDD is the same in both cases and therefore the
> its behavioral meaning per x86 semantics is also the same.

HHH1(DDD) only halts because HHH(DDD) aborts its emulation
thus proving the the behaviors are different.

>> The behavior of DDD emulated by HHH1 is identical to the
>> behavior of the directly executed DDD().
>
> Which is the behaviour of DDD accordint to the semantics of x86 language.

If you stupidly ignore that DDD does call HHH in recursive
emulation it might superfically seem that way.