Article <v70mel$61d8$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v70mel$61d8$2@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: DDD correctly emulated by HHH is correctly rejected as
 non-halting.
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 09:13:41 -0500

On 7/14/2024 3:40 AM, Mikko wrote:
> On 2024-07-13 12:22:24 +0000, olcott said:

>>> How can one derive "must" from the semantics of the machine code?
>>>

>> Deciders are required to (thus must) halt.
>
> The semantics of the x86 language does not require that, nor that any of
> the programs is a decider.

The subject our our conversion is a simulating termination
analyzer AKA partial halt decider that accepts a finite string
of x86 code as specifying halting behavior or rejects this
finite string. Deciders are required to halt thus must abort
the emulation of any input that would prevent this.

*You can comprehend this is a truism or fail to*
*comprehend it disagreement is necessarily incorrect*
Any input that must be aborted to prevent the non
termination of HHH necessarily specifies non-halting
behavior or it would never need to be aborted.

Technically any program that halts is a decider.
In the early days simply halting was acceptance of the input.
The input was rejected by getting stuck in an infinite loop.

In computability theory, a decider is a Turing machine that
halts for every input.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decider_(Turing_machine)

*Here the the definition that I go by*
Intuitively, a decider should be a Turing machine that given
an input, halts and either accepts or rejects, relaying its
answer in one of many equivalent ways, such as halting at
an ACCEPT or REJECT state, or leaving its answer on the output
tape. https://cs.stackexchange.com/questions/84433/what-is-decider