Article <v737dh$mjis$11@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v737dh$mjis$11@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: DDD correctly emulated by HHH is correctly rejected as
 non-halting.
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2024 08:15:29 -0500

On 7/15/2024 2:41 AM, Mikko wrote:
> On 2024-07-14 14:13:41 +0000, olcott said:

>>> The semantics of the x86 language does not require that, nor that any of
>>> the programs is a decider.
>>
>> The subject our our conversion is a simulating termination
>> analyzer
>
> No, it is not. As stated on the Subject line, the subject is correctness of
> the rejection of DDD as non-halting.
>
>> AKA partial halt decider
>
> That "AKA" is incorrect. The term "termination analyzer" means a program
> of a certain kind and the term "partial halt decider" means a program of
> a different kind.

Not for the subset of inputs that we are examining.

>> that accepts a finite string of x86 code as specifying halting behavior
>> or rejects this finite string. Deciders are required to halt thus must
>> abort the emulation of any input that would prevent this.
>
> However, that is not sufficient. The decider must not accpet inputs that
> its specification does not specify as acceptable and must not reject inputs
> that its specification does not specify as rejectable. As you call your
> program a "partial halt decider" you should also specify how it is partial,
> i.e., what inputs it is required to answer the same whay as a halt decider
> and what it may do with the other inputs.

Partial halt decider / termination analyzer HHH has these
inputs in its domain.

void Infinite_Loop()
{
   HERE: goto HERE;
}

void Infinite_Recursion()
{
   Infinite_Recursion();
}

void DDD()
{
   HHH(DDD);
}

int DD()
{
   int Halt_Status = HHH(DD);
   if (Halt_Status)
     HERE: goto HERE;
   return Halt_Status;
}

This is only hard when you are trying to be as disagreeable
as possible.