Article <v78hhe$1rgni$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v78hhe$1rgni$1@dont-email.me>

From: AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: guns again.
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2024 08:38:54 -0500
 <J%blO.121338$Liga.40859@fx15.ams4> <v73opr$q74d$2@dont-email.me>
 <f7ta9j1o7i9o4g8m90noom5scekld9phs2@4ax.com>
 <2ocb9jdvvgabmvrvp3va99p8nptrnn05rr@4ax.com> <v74i0r$up5l$3@dont-email.me>
 <v75pvo$193k7$1@dont-email.me> <v761o3$1aan5$1@dont-email.me>
 <9s4d9jtqomepmg88l8ljh2jnbr9cnhu237@4ax.com>
 <894e9jh8lqtj9nof4b3aotrlk4l14p218j@4ax.com> <v778e4$1h90a$1@dont-email.me>

On 7/16/2024 8:57 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 7/16/2024 8:48 PM, John B. wrote:
>>
>> Yet more proof that Frankie doesn't know what he is
>> talking about. A
>> shotgun fires a spray of pellets and certainly wouldn't be
>> the best
>> choice in a case where the "Bad Guys" are close to the
>> victims as
>> seems very likely in the above reference.
>
> Argue with Andrew about that. He was the one who originally
> posted that a shotgun would be much better for home defense
> than an AR.
>
> Beyond that, I disagree with you on the applicability of a
> shotgun to these specific cases. But again, I'll let Andrew
> explain, if he cares to.

As with concurrent discussions, 'optimal', 'adequate' and
'best' are inherently subjective.

My statement is based on the general consensus among
firearms mavens. Typical assessment here:

https://tacticalgear.com/experts/best-guns-for-home-defense

1 through four are 12ga shotguns, then 9mm, .357 and .45ACP
pistols.

Eighth is an FN pistol in 5.7 which is a NATO round.

#9 is an .223 AR, #10 an AK in 7.62 (.30cal)

but there are many quite similar conclusions.

I agree that a rifle is less than optimal, but adequate.
..223 or .30 cal is up to you.

That article, as most, does not discuss what's behind your
target (beyond/through walls, for example) and in many
situations that is a severe risk factor for unintended damage.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org