Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v7bno4$2ho5a$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Chris M. Thomasson" <chris.m.thomasson.1@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: Music while in a coding session...
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2024 11:43:15 -0700

On 7/18/2024 12:31 AM, David Brown wrote:
> On 17/07/2024 22:42, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:

>> What about using C++ to create music (say, MIDI for now) that you can
>> listen to while creating other music and/or other fun things indeed?
>>

> What about not posting random youtube links at all?

They are not random... I used to give a link without any title
information. So that was bad.

> Please understand the topicality of these groups - then you can make a
> conscious decision to stretch the topicality if you think it is
> appropriate, instead of just spilling every stray thought that passes
> through your head.  (Again - I personally am not as rigid about sticking
> to topicality as some regulars, but I think it is important not to get
> carried away, and it is important to know when something is not even
> close to topical.  Technical groups need to maintain a level of focus or
> they either disappear entirely, or descend into cesspits like
> sci.electronics.design.)

Have you ever written a C++ program to generate music in wav and/or midi
form? It's great fun, and is also able to make an n-ary field "dance" to
it. For some reason I always start with creating an algorithm for
percussion wrt midi. This sets the "main beat" for everything else to
follow...

Fwiw, here is an example called 3d Field Test (ver:0.0.2) where the
field lines respond to the music. It's rather crude, but works:

https://youtu.be/yZbO0314gRo

> These groups are about the /languages/ C and C++.  They are not about
> programs that happen to be written in those languages, and certainly not
> about what was created using programs that happened to be written in
> those languages.
>
> So if you've written a program in C++, it is topical to discuss
> particular aspects of the code that you think were hard, or interesting,
> or that you have questions about, or that use unusual techniques that
> you want to share with others.  The complete program is not topical, nor
> are its uses.
>
> Can you appreciate the difference?

Yes. Well, I am now trying to give the titles the youtube links I post,
did you notice that? They are not random. Creating a percussion using
say, mod, can be fun. Creating interesting drum beats. Using different
tracks with midi channel 10 can be used to separate the percussion
instruments.

Humm... I wonder if the music that C++ coders tend to listen to might be
different that the music Java programmers listen to? Interesting in a sense?

Keeping all of this contained in this thread should be easy for others
to just block, ignore, ect...?