Article <v7gotu$3jnfn$3@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v7gotu$3jnfn$3@dont-email.me>

From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Crowdstrike fiasco
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2024 17:34:06 +0100

On 20/07/2024 17:15, Michael Uplawski wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote in comp.os.linux.misc:
>> On 20/07/2024 14:44, rek2 hispagatos wrote:
>
>>> +1 I hope this serves as a lesson.
>>
>> No, it wont.
>>
>> You dont understan middle management in a company.
>> The IT managers career is best served by spending shitloads of money
>> with a company like crowdstrike which offers impressive legal guarantees
>> in its contracts.
>> Not by implementing a policy with some 'nerdy operating system' that his
>> boss doesn't know how to use. And developing an IT department to service
>> and support it.
>
> An observation that many have made.
> Would you be convinced that IT managers prefer to continue to steer
> their company into the next wall, convinced that it will serve their
> career? I may have only reformulated what you stated above, in that
> case.

Ive seen midlde management do exactly that.

> I see two dominant scenarios for the future: Either this continues
> and *All* comes to an end, for any of the multitude of possible
> reasons.

What happens in reality is that departments or businesses simply go
bankrupt and are closed down.
Unless they are public sector funded. Which is why governments should
never ever be in charge of running anything

> Or different things become important, which should change an IT
> manager's conduct.

It doesn't matter what the issue, the middle manager or politician is
not interested in the survival of the company (or country)  he
ostensibly works for, only in his salary, his perks, and his CV.

> So, are there really no counter examples? Would those who talk in
> this thread be the last remaining reasonable people?

Small companies with technically competent managers work, which is why
large companies lobby the government to make it impossible for them to
fulfil H & S, and diversity requrenensts, minimum wage and maximum
working hours.
Its all designed to make the barrier to entry of the corporate game to
high for new players to enter.

All disguised as 'soshul justiss' and 'yuman rites'

> I am out of IT for about 15 years. All this is becoming comfortably
> obscure for me but I remember at least 1 company which went bankrupt
> because their quality standards were too high and the customers had
> neither understood nor liked that.

Precisely. In a free market that is what happens, which is why the big
corporates lobby governments to ensure the market is as non-free as
possible.

In a free market no one would build a single EV, sell a single solar
panel or put up a single windmill.

And neighbourhoods would be full of small businesses supplying needed
services.

private property.

Karl Marx