Article <v7hga4$3oaep$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v7hga4$3oaep$1@dont-email.me>

From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.apps
Subject: Re: The facts show Apple is two generations behind Android in AI (artificial intelligence)
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2024 11:13:09 +1200

On 2024-07-20 11:07:59 +0000, -hh said:

> On 7/19/24 11:09 PM, Andrew wrote:
>> "Meanwhile, all of those benefits are available on Android and have been
>> since Google introduced the idea of an AI-first smartphone in October 2024
>> during the Pixel 8 launch. With Google's Pixel 9 family due to be announced
>> in August, Apple's iPhone will be two generations behind Android's AI
>> efforts before it has even left the Cupertino stage."
>>
>> https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2024/07/18/apple-iphone-16-pro-max-apple-intelligence-ai-sales-demand-new-iphone/
>>

>> What do you expect from a company whose advertising budget dwarfs R&D.
>
> But how does it actually matter how far someone is "behind" when the
> shiny new widget still isn't all that great, and doesn't actually
> reliably provide meaningful productivity gains?
>
> Case in point, AI asked to render salmon swimming upstream:
>

> <https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/yijd3c/they_asked_an_ai_engine_to_recreate_a_salmon/>
>

> -hh

Ignoring the fact that AI is utterly useless and nothing more than
another fad  gimmick ... Apple has a tendency to come in "late" and
leapfrog everyone else with a much better version. When the iPhone was
released, everyone else had to quickly play catch-up and lazily copied
the iPhone (and many still do) with a sub-quality knock-off.