Article <v7l0ge$huji$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v7l0ge$huji$1@dont-email.me>

From: Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: The facts show Apple is two generations behind Android
 in AI (artificial intelligence)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2024 07:07:58 -0000 (UTC)

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> On 2024-07-20 11:07:59 +0000, -hh said:
>
>> On 7/19/24 11:09 PM, Andrew wrote:
>>> "Meanwhile, all of those benefits are available on Android and have been
>>> since Google introduced the idea of an AI-first smartphone in October 2024
>>> during the Pixel 8 launch. With Google's Pixel 9 family due to be announced
>>> in August, Apple's iPhone will be two generations behind Android's AI
>>> efforts before it has even left the Cupertino stage."
>>>
>>> https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2024/07/18/apple-iphone-16-pro-max-apple-intelligence-ai-sales-demand-new-iphone/
>>>

>>> What do you expect from a company whose advertising budget dwarfs R&D.
>>
>> But how does it actually matter how far someone is "behind" when the
>> shiny new widget still isn't all that great, and doesn't actually
>> reliably provide meaningful productivity gains?
>>
>> Case in point, AI asked to render salmon swimming upstream:
>>

>> <https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/yijd3c/they_asked_an_ai_engine_to_recreate_a_salmon/>
>>

>> -hh
>
> Ignoring the fact that AI is utterly useless and nothing more than
> another fad  gimmick

I mean that's demonstrably false. Just look at the ubiquitous spellcheckers
and photo labelling systems built into most OSes. They do work most of the
time and are useful.

Then at the other extreme deep learning as it's called in the technical
world is definitely making a big difference at the cutting edge. AlphaFold
is a classic example. It revolutionised a 40 year old field.

What is not clear is where in day to day life it is most useful and where
the errors it is invariably affected by are least of a problem.

> ... Apple has a tendency to come in "late" and
> leapfrog everyone else with a much better version. When the iPhone was
> released, everyone else had to quickly play catch-up and lazily copied
> the iPhone (and many still do) with a sub-quality knock-off.

What's most disappointing is that Apple is using the "intelligence"
features to artificially differentiate models.

It'll also be interesting to see how the differences between the US & EU
models look like especially as being the UK which models do we get?