Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v7mhej$6vst$3@solani.org>

From: Ulrich D i e z <ud.usenetcorrespondence@web.de>
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: \lipsum{} ----- How did i live without it for SO long?
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2024 23:04:57 +0200

I guess your posting and my reply tp it is appropriate only at
comp.text.tex .

de.comp.text.tex - a German-language newsgroup while the postings are
                   written in English language.
sci.lang - the matter discussed is off topic there.
alt.usage.english - the matter discussed is off topic there.

HenHanna wrote:

> On 7/22/2024 5:45 AM, Pieter van Oostrum wrote:
>> HenHanna <HenHanna@devnull.tb> writes:
>>>
>>> With the document i'm working on now... LaTeX does NOT
>>> function properly without the   \lipsum{} text stuck at the end!!!
>>
>> I have no idea what you mean by this.
>>

>>> \lipsum{}
>>> \lipsum{3}  ---- i don't get what the Arg. does.
>>>
>>>             >>>  3 specifies the number of paragraphs you want filled
>>>                  with this dummy text.  ------- really?   i've tried
>>>                  1,3,5 there, and the result seems the same.
>>
>> You are wrong. \lipsum doesn't have an argument like this. You can however give an optional argument (or two), like \lipsum[3], which typesets the 3rd paragraph of lipsum's text, or \lipsum[1-4], which typesets the first 4 paragraphs. Read the documentation for mor info.
>

> thank   you ...
>
>            Without the \lipsum{} text stuck at the end,
> the last page (or two?) of my document would have
> lots of spaces between paragraphs....
>
>           Maybe the same effect (the fix) could be achieved by putting
> \vfill  at the end.

Don't give \parskip that much stretchability?

Or use \raggedbottom instead of \flushbottom ?

(When I use \flushbottom, then I tend to set \textheight so that the
difference of \textheight and \topskip is an integer multiple of
\baselineskip.)

Sincerely

Ulrich