Article <v7nbq7$2aaf$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v7nbq7$2aaf$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

From: Andrew <andrew@spam.net>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: The facts show Apple is two generations behind Android in AI (artificial intelligence)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2024 04:33:12 -0000 (UTC)
References: <v7g5qf$3gjh2$4@dont-email.me> <v7hga4$3oaep$1@dont-email.me> <645882704.743219657.314271.recscuba_google-huntzinger.com@news.eternal-september.org> <v7hqen$27l4$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <v7ht8j$4fd0$1@solani.org> <v7i628$2ehn$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <v7illm$5nqk$1@solani.org> <v7j55h$rsl$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <v7l1nt$i54u$1@dont-email.me> <v7lkvc$2fv8$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <xn0oom9vh9nzp2y007@reader443.eternal-september.org> <v7lqpr$1qje$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <v7m1v6$6nou$1@solani.org> <v7m40s$1tu7$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <xn0oomerb9ummwb008@reader443.eternal-september.org>

badgolferman wrote on Mon, 22 Jul 2024 17:33:47 -0000 (UTC) :

>>Other than AirTags (which I grant as an Apple marketing success) can
>>you name any iPhone technology that isn't 5 to 10 years behind that
>>of Android?
>
> How about Apple Wallet/Apple Pay?  Most places I go accept Apple Pay
> but not Samsung or Google Pay.  Why is that?  It can't be due to
> commissions.

Hi badgolferman,
I enjoy conversing with you as I don't have to dumb down the messaging.
You can handle the nuance of detail that none of the iKooks can fathom.

Yours is a good observation about the payment systems, as I'll never
disagree with sensible points - where Apple's system is well established.

Rest assured I'm never beholden to a foregone conclusion when factual
evidence is presented that might change a previous assessment based on
prior facts - as I'm only beholden to making a good factual assessment.

Again though, you're choosing things which are marketing gimmicks that I
don't fall prey to so I don't know much about phone payment systems (as
mine are all disabled on my phone - which enables me to get free stuff).

However, if we listen to what Steve Scharf has said in the past, as he's an
expert at phone payment systems, I think he'd agree with your premise.

I would say though, that the two things you found which Apple clearly has a
better following than Android does, is due more to marketing than to R&D.

Also, neither one of them is devoid on Android - so it's simply a case of
which you happen to feel has better market penetration - which - well - is
important for sure - but which isn't necessarily a technology lacking on
Android.

If we begin to list stuff we just happen to like better on one platform or
the other, we might as well compare Siri to Google Assistant. Or Apple Maps
to Google Maps. Or Apple's App Store to Google's App Store. Or Apple's
CarPlay to Android Auto. Or we could even dive deeper into the weeds
comparing NewsTap to GroundHog newsreaders, so we need to be careful to not
just compare stuff we like better but which is on both platforms.

However, even though R&D isn't involved all that much in both the UWB
trackers and the payment systems, that it's not very R&D intensive doesn't
negate that those two things are "more successful" in terms of Apple's
market penetration, than Android's market penetration.
1. Apple UWB trackers
2. Apple Wallet/Pay systems

Thinking about the problem set, I wonder if we can list a third item, one
which is actually completely lacking in the Android system to date?
3. Emergency Satellite messages

When I looked up the status of Android satellite messaging, this was
published just today which says it's coming, but it's not here yet.
 <https://www.techradar.com/phones/android-fans-might-soon-get-one-of-the-iphones-best-safety-features>
 "Based on code seen by Android Authority, Google is considering
  bringing emergency satellite communications to a future version
  of Android. Dubbed Pixel Satellite SOS in code found in Android 15
  beta 4, the feature could help get Android fans who find themselves
  in difficulties when making conventional emergency calls isn't possible."

When I dug further to see how much Apple spent on their system, I found
 <https://www.techradar.com/features/i-tried-apple-emergency-sos-via-satellite-even-though-i-didnt-need-to>
 "Perhaps only Apple could invest nearly half a billion dollars
  in an iPhone 14-based system most will never use. It's something
  that makes its now-available Emergency SOS via Satellite system
  on all iPhone 14 handsets that much more impressive."

Both Apple and Google are only planning on offering the service for free
for two years though, so it won't be useful until people pay for it.
 <https://www.androidauthority.com/pixel-satellite-sos-free-apk-teardown-3462798/>

I'm sure we can find more, but I find it interesting that the ignorant
uneducated low-IQ zealots couldn't come up with the stuff you & I did.

1. Apple UWB trackers (Android has them also)
2. Apple Wallet/Pay systems (Android has them also)
3. Apple Emergency Satellite messaging (not yet available on Android)

Another thing we can say that Apple has which is far better than Android is
the Genius Bar free support - which some of my relatives use quite a lot.

As with the emergency satellite communication systems, this is something
that is essentially completely lacking on Android - at least at local
stores (although I've gotten support from T-Mobile for my Samsung).

1. Apple UWB trackers (Android has them also)
2. Apple Wallet/Pay systems (Android has them also)
3. Apple Emergency Satellite messaging (not yet available on Android)
4. In-person store one-on-one free customer support

Of all of these, so far, I think only the latter two are unique to Apple,
and, the Satellite messaging will be on Android soon - but clearly I hand
it to Apple for spending half a billion dollars to get to market first.