Article <v7r2k1$1pa7u$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v7r2k1$1pa7u$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Analytic Truth-makers
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2024 09:20:47 -0500
 <b969998e09a55fb3ab05b2a19fd28a36ca56ecc7@i2pn2.org>
 <v7pup8$1ji5b$1@dont-email.me>
 <994febb86b9367c19b35fc184522efc3f562ab04@i2pn2.org>

On 7/24/2024 6:28 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> No, it is True in PA, because it is LITERALLY True by the words it uses.

>>> But they DO exist in PA, I guess you just don't understand how math
>>> works.
>>>
>>> The sequence of steps is:
>>>
>>> Check the number 0 to see if it satisfies the PRR. Answer = No.
>>> Check the number 1 to see if it satisfies the PRR. Answer = No.
>>> Check the number 2 to see if it satisfies the PRR. Answer = No.
>>>
>>> keep repeating counting up through all the Natural Numbers.
>>>  From the trick in MM, we can see that the math in PA will say no to
>>> all of them.
>>>
>>> Thus, after an infinite number of steps of truth preserving
>>> operations, we reach the conclusion that NO natural numbers actually
>>> exist that meet that PRR, just like G claimed, so it is correct.
>>>

>> The lack of a proof means untruth.
>
> Nope, lack of a proof means unknown, as you have agreed.

If an infinite number of steps fail to show that G is
provable in PA then G is untrue in PA.

> After all, you
> admitted that if the Goldbach conjecture would be an Analytic TRUTH if
> it was only established by an infinite sequence of truth preserving
> operations.

If an infinite number of steps do show that Goldbach is
provable in PA then Goldbach is true in PA.

> Since you don't know the meaning of the words, you just prove yourself
> unqualified to talk about such things.

Any proof requiring an infinite number of steps never resolved
to a truth value thus its truth value remains unknown.

An alternative finite proof in MM only shows that the expression
is true in MM.

Truthmakers cannot cross system boundaries. --