Article <v7titv$29r88$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v7titv$29r88$1@dont-email.me>

From: AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Some bicycle paths...
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2024 08:11:27 -0500

On 7/25/2024 6:17 AM, Catrike Ryder wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jul 2024 20:59:58 -0400, Frank Krygowski
> <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> The guns I argue against are absolutely designed to kill people.
>
> No more than any other gun, and handguns kill far more people than the
> guns you argue against.
>
>> I'm
>> saying their detriments to society greatly outweigh their non-existent
>> practical benefits.
>
> Apparently, nobody cares what you're saying.
>
>> I note that nobody here has yet posted a practical
>> benefit for such guns in civilian hands. And I note that you, John,
>> apparently do not own an AR-style rifle. That means you judge the
>> detriments of owning an AR-style rifle outweigh any practical benefits.
>
> Krygowski needs to make every argument personal. That's so he can
> attack the person rather than the issue.
>
>> And you're doing just fine without one.
>
> Most people are doing fine without a bicycle, too, yet they probably
> wouldn't argue against doing away with them.

Well, people do have their opinions. Which is fine so far as
it goes.  Actual data, however, is at odds with much of
popular opinion:

https://ammo.com/articles/gun-death-statistics-by-caliber

Highest sales:crime ratio brand is Glock, who do not sell
rifles at all*, not even the deadly lead-spewing AR-15 platform.

Largest death count by caliber is 9mm (half of injury, 65%
of deaths) and .223 are negligible (~1%).

Which won't do anything about the wide gap between ideology
and reality.

*Prototype testing is in progress with British Rangers.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org