Article <v7udpb$bej4$1@solani.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v7udpb$bej4$1@solani.org>

From: Ulrich D i e z <ud.usenetcorrespondence@web.de>
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex,de.comp.text.tex
Subject: Re: (LaTeX) This doesn't work -- \mbox{ First Line \\ Second Line}
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2024 22:51:16 +0200

HenHanna wrote:

> On 7/25/2024 8:37 AM, Eberhard W Lisse wrote:
>> I don't think crossposting to 5 groups two of which not in English will
>> help.
>>
>> el
>>
>> On 19/07/2024 07:31, HenHanna wrote:
>>> i want 2 lines to stay together... How do i do it?
>>
>>          [...]
>

> if i want 2 words to stay together...   First~Second
>                                          (and/or \mbox{...} )
> Shouldn't there be an easy way to do that for 2 lines?

If you want to avoid clubs and/or widows while TeX is in horizontal mpde
where it does the line-breaking for you, you can do

\widowpenalty=10000
\clubpenalty)10000

But when TeX is in the situation of having to choose between several
infinitely bad possibilities of page-breaking it might choose the one
where you get a widow or a club anyway.

If you want lines of an entire paragraph to not be broken across pages,
with LaTeX put that paragraph into a minipage environment or into a
\parbox and specify, e.g.,  the width \textwidth or \linewidth.With
LaTeX there is also an environment samepage.

With plain-TeX you can put that paragraph into a \vbox. Inside the \vbox
you may need to say s.th. like

\hsize=<width of lines of text inside the \vbox when TeX does the
line-breaking automatically>
Sincerely

Ulrich