Article <v80i5jpuve8vhs1lrg3icgeobmchid5pda@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v80i5jpuve8vhs1lrg3icgeobmchid5pda@4ax.com>

From: Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Riding after heavy manual labor
Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 16:20:07 -0700
References: <gH23O.986$EkJ4.894@fx14.iad> <acep4jdkf54vl2cj7m9p0pns6jnfof9vvs@4ax.com> <oL65O.41283$HBac.1016@fx15.iad> <i71a5j50hfjt77spkiv65ifth9vusjvkf3@4ax.com> <v336hd$8qgh$2@dont-email.me> <r6m5O.73879$vAv6.52068@fx18.iad> <v34rkq$l0pn$1@dont-email.me> <v34sqa$iqvq$3@dont-email.me> <0Tq5O.6565$zHo8.4124@fx47.iad> <v365nf$vpq9$2@dont-email.me> <v3780n$14v1d$1@dont-email.me> <grje5jtqmk9ptm5aduu33qkanurt7tae2k@4ax.com> <v37rr5$18gp7$1@dont-email.me>

On Wed, 29 May 2024 14:23:30 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 5/29/2024 12:04 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

>>> Most links are to academic papers with paywall but here's an
>>> overview:
>>>
>>> https://www.britannica.com/science/slip-crystals
>>
>> Methinks "cold flow" would be a more applicable mechanism.
>> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cold%20flow>
>> That's where Tom leans on his bicycle frame, which then slowly flows
>> in the desired direction.  How he was able to do this from inside the
>> frame tubing is left as an exercise for the believers.
>>
>> There is also SMA (shape memory alloy):
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape-memory_alloy>
>> which can be deformed when cold but returns to its previous shape when
>> heated, which Tom does with a breath of hot air.
>>
>> I really wish that Tom would introduce his amazing technology to the
>> automobile industry.  My Subaru has numerous dents from trees and
>> branches falling on it during several years of winter storms.  It
>> would be really nice if I could just push or heat the dent and have it
>> return to its original shape.

>Too bad the body panels weren't plastic. Our previous car, a Mazda 3,
>had huge blind spots. Because of those, I was backing _very_ slowly out
>of a very tight parking space in a pedestrian rich area, inching my way
>back as I cut the wheel sharply.
>
>That maneuver put a concrete pedestal in my blind spot the entire way.
>The right rear corner of my plastic "bumper" hit it and got dented in.
>Very embarrassing! My insurance company estimated ~$800 to fix it, and
>because of my deductible sent me a check for $300.
>
>Since it was winter, I delayed the repair but drove with embarrassment.
>But one day when the temperatures got into the 40s, I took a heat gun
>and some rags into the garage. Patiently heating and pressing the plasic
>panel both inside and outside, I managed to push the dent back out
>almost perfectly. A bit of touch up paint covered minor scratches. When
>I traded the car in, not a word was said about the repair. Oh, and I
>pocketed the $300.
>
>It was much, much easier than similar metal repairs I've done. But then,
>I don't have Tom's magic touch.

Nicely done.  However, my 2nd hand experience with bashing in plastic
car panels hasn't been as good.  One my neighbors had a plastic car
body.  I don't recall the maker, model or cost of the repair.  When a
big tree branch fell and hit the side of the car, the outer plastic
panel returned to its original shape leaving only a crack in the
plastic.  However, under the plastic panel was an aluminum frame.  The
aluminum bent inward and stretched, leaving a large visible depression
in the plastic panel.  I don't think the plastic panel saved my
neighbor any money on repairs.

Here's photos of the damage from two different tree falls on my
Subaru:
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/WiPhyFF25sbX28pZA>
The damage near the gas filler extended to the internal steel frame. I
can probably fix it myself by removing and interior plastic panels and
hammering on the various bent steel parts.  I'm not very thrilled with
welding around the gas tank filler.  I have a Harbor Freight auto body
tool kit.
<https://www.harborfreight.com/body-and-fender-set-7-piece-63259.html>

Still, it would be nice to have shape memory alloy car panels and
bicycle frame tubing that return to their original shapes by just
parking them in the sun on a hot day.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com