Article <v81dn4$31pcq$4@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v81dn4$31pcq$4@dont-email.me>

From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: New Bike Path
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2024 20:06:59 -0400
 <etjv8jlj9nngkc8c198gf89np71i55sc2m@4ax.com> <v6oskl$2frbh$1@dont-email.me>
 <z9VjO.57191$VBH2.30514@fx16.ams4> <v6qu9q$2jvdo$1@dont-email.me>
 <v6tqe7$3ih7q$4@dont-email.me> <v6u41v$3kevu$2@dont-email.me>
 <7v559j1bs0ia511gls5thk96njrfearrl7@4ax.com> <v72uq3$k5kl$5@dont-email.me>
 <Y6clO.63379$J6gc.24141@fx09.ams4> <v73mr7$pqin$1@dont-email.me>
 <N0xlO.126461$Liga.8066@fx15.ams4> <v76lc1$1dnmj$2@dont-email.me>
 <cNMoO.560137$Liga.341869@fx15.ams4> <v80qpa$2v4bh$1@dont-email.me>
 <cSSoO.422844$mMba.84001@fx06.ams4>

On 7/26/2024 3:33 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> No your as ever using select information ie cherry picking, ie using
>>> absolute numbers over the rate, Summit Street numbers of casualties have
>>> gone up as has number using the bike lane.
>>
>> Summit Street bike use increased about 75%, as I recall. Car-bike
>> crashes increased something like ten fold.
>>
> Crashes when from 6 to 19 this is such low and poor statistics, after all
> wasn’t a death post construction low numbers like these really are iffy.

Nonsense! In the years prior to the installation, they had six car bike
crashes in 37 months. Immediately afterward they had eleven car-bike
crashes in 8 months. There is no chance of that NOT being statistically
significant! To pretend otherwise is laughable.

>> That's irrelevant. The glorious, lobbied-for, heralded bike trap made
>> things much more dangerous for bicyclists.
>>
> I rather suspect any lobby group particularly in 2018 would have wanted a
> protected bike lane not what they got!

You're completely ignoring the crash mechanisms. See below.

>>> I’d also note that while called a protected
>>> cycle route it’s largely absent ie mainly paint having a google maps ride
>>> though, and channels one into the door zone!
>>
>> In other words "What the lobbyists asked for and got is terrible!"
>> Another example of those ever-shifting goal posts.
>>
> No it clearly isn’t a protected cycleway for most of its length seems to
> only be paint to call it protected is really overselling it, if not
> deliberately misleading.

The crashes happened at intersections, where motorists were entering or
exiting side streets. You can "protect" a bikeway by erecting ten foot
tall concrete walls if you like; but there must still be gaps for side
street access. Unless you believe in 100% grade separation, or perhaps
flying cars.

--
- Frank Krygowski