Article <v8296u$3a2tu$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v8296u$3a2tu$1@dont-email.me>

From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Crowdstrike fiasco
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2024 08:56:14 +0100

On 27/07/2024 07:12, 186282@ud0s4.net wrote:
> On 7/20/24 1:57 PM, Rich wrote:
>> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> No, it wont.
>>>
>>> You dont understan middle management in a company.
>>> The IT managers career is best served by spending shitloads of money
>>> with a company like crowdstrike which offers impressive legal guarantees
>>> in its contracts.
>>> Not by implementing a policy with some 'nerdy operating system' that his
>>> boss doesn't know how to use. And developing an IT department to service
>>> and support it.
>>
>> You can tell those who have never worked with/in/near a large corporate
>> bureaucracy or govt bureaucracy IT department.  Those who have never
>> seen behind the curtain believe this will result in some kind of
>> change.
>>
>> Those who have (and it does appear you have) recognize crowdstrike for
>> what it really is (hint, it is not for "securing" the endpoint systems
>> -- that is, at best, a secondary outcome).  Crowdstrike's real purpose
>> is to provide the IT bureaucracy with "risk insurance" (i.e.,
>> Crowdstrike is really an "insurance plan", even if not presented that
>> way) such that the IT folk can check a checkbox on their quarterly
>> security audit forms that indicates they have "security scanning
>> software" installed.  It additionally provides those same IT
>> bureaucracy folks with a CYA such that if they happen to be
>> hacked/exploited, they can CYA and shift blame to Crowdstrike and away
>> from themselves.
>>
>> Any "security" Crowdstrike provides is secondary to this main purpose,
>> that of being an "insurance plan" onto which the IT bureaucracy members
>> can shift blame should some hack occur.
>>
>> So in the end, because the next quarters audit's checkboxes will still
>> require "security scanning software" be installed, when next quarter
>> arrives, and those forms get filled out again, Crowdstrike will still
>> be installed, so those IT folks can check the "blame shifting checkbox"
>> on the audit form and magically become "secure" for another quarter.
>

>    The M$-suckers who replaced me after I retired were of
>    exactly that mentality. Wonderful cloud stuff AND the
>    providers offer such WONDERFUL guarentees ! All the
>    modern boxes checked - "Ain't OUR fault !".
>
>    Control, real 'security', comprehension, totally out the
>    window (ha ha). Shit, they could barely even program five
>    lines of Python and 'C' source  may as well be writ
>    in hieroglyphics.
>
>    Dunno if the CS fiasco screwed them ... I'll have to find
>    a reason to call and see. There IS a certain satisfaction
>    in "TOLD ya so !"  :-)
>
>    And if it wasn't CS last week it'll be something ELSE
>    next week. Their boxes WILL lock, their 'cloud' WILL
>    dissipate. It is clear that bad actors can get into
>    most ANYTHING 'cloudy' these days. Just a matter of time.
>    Tick, tick, tick ...........
>
>    HOME-hosted data/backups/vital-apps/firewalls centered
> [...]

Worth noting that insurance is only likely to pay out about 10% of the
cost of this fiasco.

https://www.theregister.com/2024/07/26/crowdstrike_insurance_money/

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon