Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v82f3o$e0v3$1@solani.org>

From: Mild Shock <janburse@fastmail.fm>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Re:_Did_Lifeware_Kill_Scryer_Prolog_CLP=28Z=29_=3f_=28Was?=
 =?UTF-8?Q?:_A_harsh_wind_is_blowing_into_the_face_of_Prolog_now=e2=80=a6_[F?=
 =?UTF-8?Q?ORTRAN_/_TIOBE_Index_for_May_2024]=29?=
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2024 11:36:57 +0200

Hi,

I do not exclude a turn-around possibility
for Scryer Prolog. But with errors like this,
that are at the core of some ideas behind

Scryer Prolog, like the glorious char based
double quoted lists, which have special data
structure support:

?- [X,Y] = [e,foo], Z is X.
    X = e, Y = foo, Z = 2.718281828459045.

?- [X,Y] = [e,f], Z is X.
    error(type_error(evaluable,e),(is)/2).

But I doubt that any such list/array ideas,
especially when they try to share subarrays
are even a good idea. Trealla Prolog tries

something similar. But initial Java had for
example a sharing substring() method. But they
abandoned that over the time. So their

strings are not sharing anymore, and code that
relied on sharing got broken. You can have
sharing through other interfaces, but Strings

are not anymore sharing. Any idea why?

Bye