Article <v8322k$3dseh$6@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v8322k$3dseh$6@dont-email.me>

From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: New Bike Path
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2024 11:00:35 -0400

On 7/27/2024 8:41 AM, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Jul 2024 20:06:59 -0400, Frank Krygowski
>> <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>> In the years prior to the installation, they had six car bike
>>> crashes in 37 months. Immediately afterward they had eleven car-bike
>>> crashes in 8 months. There is no chance of that NOT being statistically
>>> significant! To pretend otherwise is laughable.
>>
>> I suspect more people rode that route after they installed the bike
>> path.  More riders = more accidents.
>>

> They did though not at the same rate, mind you also was no deaths after it
> was installed.

"Hey, it didn't actually kill anybody!"  Really?

> It’s a fairly rubbish bike path being a bidirectional with only a few bits
> of protection rest being paint, and channeling one into the door zone, it’s
> has multiple what are probably well used junctions.

Again, such moveable goal posts. The crashes were not doorings; they
were car-bike crashes at intersections.

> Considering how new it is really I wonder if it got heavily watered down
> mainly some way of mitigation be that light controlled junctions or
> preventing turns on some of the junctions and so on.

Traffic lights at each side road would probably mitigate the crash
problem. But that would be at great expense (traffic lights are
astonishingly costly) and cause great public annoyance due to
unnecessary traffic delays.

--
- Frank Krygowski