Article <v89knc$rqfk$3@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v89knc$rqfk$3@dont-email.me>

From: Tom Elam <thomas.e.elam@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Wildfires in Jasper NP, Canada
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2024 22:55:41 -0400

On 7/29/2024 4:42 PM, Alan wrote:
> On 2024-07-29 10:28, -hh wrote:
>> Tom Elam <thomas.e.elam@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> We did not get to go to ice fields up that way. The tour company
>>> substituted a very nice local trip with lunch. Otherwise all went off as
>>> scheduled. We had a great time. The train trip was the highlight. If you
>>> go choose the Gold level.
>>>

>> Glad to hear that you’re safe & relatively unaffected.
>>
>> We had found Jasper to be a cute town; seems apparently that the main
>> drag
>> has been wiped out, which is a loss.  Ice fields up that way were
>> okay…didn’t leave a huge impression on us, since we’ve been to a few
>> others
>> prior…”ice is ice” to a certain degree :-)
>
> Yeah.. ...our Dad took us to see most of the sights from Jasper down to
> Banff, and the ice fields were kind of cool...
>
> ...once.
>

>> For trains, was on one today (two, actually) to go to visit an Edgar
>> Degas
>> special exhibit. Learned that with one exception, all of his bronzes were
>> made posthumously, as they were his private working pieces made only for
>> developing his own paintings in his studio.

The whole trip for us was kinda cool, once. The eagles along the rivers
were no different from our eagles along our rivers. However, the lower
tree line in the Canadian mountains makes them more spectacular than the
U.S. version.

We are really paying a price for disrupting the natural fire cycle. In
1983 I was out in Yellowstone for the first time. Observing the 100+
years of dead-fall lodgepole pine littering the forest floors it was
obvious to me that if a fire ever got really going there would be no
stopping it. In 1988 36% of the park burned. It was not stopped until
autumn weather brought rain and snow. I was back 2 years ago and it is
amazing how fast some areas have recovered.