Article <v89l9u$s440$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v89l9u$s440$1@dont-email.me>

From: BungleBob <bunglebob@thejungle.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Upgrade iMac 8.1
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2024 15:05:34 +1200

On 2024-07-30 02:22:36 +0000, philo said:

> Have to admit I am not familiar with this machine. (or any of the Intel Macs)
>
> I was given an iMac 8.1 running OSX 10.5.8
>
> The owner had a 10.6 upgrade DVD but when I try to run it to upgrade, I
> get a message "will not run on this version."

The iMac8,1 will run Mac OS X 10.5.2 to 10.11.6

The upgrade DVD might not work for a few reasons (could be for a
specific Mac model, etc.).

You can download install disk images of older versions of MacOS direct
from Apple's website at
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/102662>
in the "Use a web browser for older versions" section.

> Actually, what I really need to do is just upgrade the browser.
>
> Safari 5 connects to very few websites...I can't even connect to the
> Apple store
>
> Any idea where I can get a browser that is better than what I have>
>
> new version of Firefox will not run

Even Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) is getting old and the version of
Safari it comes with may not work on the websites you want. Firefox or
one of the spin-offs like WaterFox may be a better option.

> Also:
>
> I wanted to empty SOME files from the trash bin NOT all of them
>
> The ONLY option is to empty the bin>
>
> I did Google and found two answers
> Either hit the command or else the option key
>
> That gives no option to delete only that file
>
> Thanks

- Open the Trash (click on the Trash icon in the Dock)
- Right-click on any file to delete and choose "Delete Immediately"
- You can select multiple files by holding down the Command key while
  clicking on each file, then right-click on any file to delete all the
  selected ones.