Article <v8fls8$23afj$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v8fls8$23afj$2@dont-email.me>

From: zen cycle <funkmasterxx@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Fine Tuning Shifting
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2024 05:52:08 -0400

> On 7/28/2024 12:28 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>> On Fri Jul 26 15:17:55 2024 Zen Cycle  wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm dying to see the comparison data that includes tommy's special
>>> campagnolo non-stretch shifter cables.
>>>

>> Since you directly lied when you said that you rode friction shifters
>> in races, it is no surprise that you can't even understand the
>> mechanism I am talking about.

First off, you fucking moron, there's no connection to racing with
downtube shifters and understanding any mechanism involved in shifting.
I raced for nearly ten years on downtube shifters - no lie. You've never
raced on them, and I highly doubt you ever even rode with them.

>> Back when I bought new bikes from the local dealer new (Bridgestones)
>> it was necessary to bring them back after using them for a couple of
>> weeks to have the shifting readjusted.

Yes, you fucking moron, that's common practice, and exactly what shops
recommend. However, anyone with even the slightest mechanical
inclination understands it isn't because the cable stretch. It's because
the jackets and ferrules bed.

>> This guy was the 7-11 team
>> mechanic in Europe so don't even dare to cast your usual expersions on
>> his ability.

Well, that's probably a lie (especially considering it came from you),
but I'm not casting aspersions on the mechanic you took your bike to.
And no, I'm not going to buy that he told you the cable stretch. If he
was a mechanic for 7\11 he would know better.

>> Since Andrew says that this doesn't happen with his mail
>> order Bianchi's he has obviously developed a method to prestretch the
>> cables.

HAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAHH!!!!!!!!!
Yes Andrew, please regale us with your cable stretching method!!!

>> So rather than addressing the actual problem, the typical morons like
>> you, Liebermann and Krygodski talk around the problem as if it never
>> existed. How would that idiot Krygowski EVER know about brifters if he
>> has never owned a set? Instead he comes up with this stupid shit as if
>> stretching the CABLE is supposed to be stretching the stainless cable
>> itself. Liebermann takes him at his word since he doesn't ride nor
>> ever has, bicycles.
>>
>> Since you obviously do not work on your own bikes you don't know that
>> the shift and brake cables are composed of finer wires twisted
>> together.

<sarcasm>
oh, gee, really? I never knew that
</sarcasm>

>> After they are initially twisted together then, like ALL
>> wires of the type, relax and the twist loosens. The question is why
>> don't you or Krygowski know of this well known property?

Gee Frank, were you aware that stranded SS cables designed for tension
relax and loosen after being placed under tension?

>> Does he
>> believe it magic?

No, but you certainly must.

>> The WIRES supporting the Golden Gate Bridge have to
>> be overstressed to compensate for the wires retightening after they
>> are loaded after the verticals are replaced.

Wait, so does a cable used for tensioning loosen/stretch, or
tighten/shrink. You seem to be confused.

>> Your misunderstanding of every engineering practice is why I question
>> that you EVER had a degree that wasn't given to you and am quite sure
>> that H-P fired you for incompetence.

yes tommy, using PWM to measure cables is a common engineering practice
(pats little tommy on the head). Go have you chocolate cookies and milk now.

>> How else would you end up in a
>> job where you have so little to do that you can play on newsgroups all
>> day long?

How many posts did you see from me yesterday? The day before? The day
before that?

>> You plainly don't even know how to use an oscilloscope because you
>> don't even know why I would measure line length with PWM rather than
>> pulse timing.

Well, I understand the intricacies of time domain measurements well
enough that I've trained younger technicians on oscilloscopes for most
of my career (trigger manipulation is usually the biggest sticking
point), but you're correct on one point, I don't know why you would
attempt to use PWM to measure a cable length - because it simply doesn't
work. BTW - PWM _is_ pulse timing. The W in PWM is Width, based on time
(that's why you measure the width with the _time_ base on the oscilloscope)

>> The failure of the US to keep up with the rest of the world can be
>> blamed squarely on people like Krygowski who soundly believes that a
>> twisted cable can only lengthen by loading the metal beyond its
>> plastic point.

The failure of the US to keep up with the rest of the world can be
squarely blamed on people like you who deride education and make claims
as fact that are easily and consistently disproved.