Article <v8jjan$rnj$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v8jjan$rnj$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

From: Andrew <andrew@spam.net>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: iPhone revenue fell for a second consecutive quarter (perhaps due to Apple's failed R&D efforts)
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2024 21:33:12 -0000 (UTC)

badgolferman wrote on Fri, 2 Aug 2024 20:15:12 -0000 (UTC) :

> It says Apple is on track to spend $31 billion this year on R&D,
> underscoring its record of increases every year since 2013.

I appreciate a conversation with you since you don't just deny every fact
you don't like (or never knew about) for Apple products like zealots do.

You bring up good points, which adults should flesh out to better
understand those point, e.g., Apple's total R&D is not puny, right?

But it is laughably puny for a company of that size in high tech.
Huawei spends more in R&D and it's nowhere near the size of Apple.

So does Samsung, who spends about the same as Apple does in R&D
(even as Apple dwarfs both Huawei and Samsung combined in revenue).

When you compare other companies, Apple's R&D spending doesn't exist.
That fact alone is telling us a lot about Apple's R&D strategy, right?

As a free thinking adult, I propose that other adults need to fathom the
extreme scope of Apple's almost total lack of R&D spending for its size.

There's a reason Apple is generally five to ten years behind in tech.

> That˘s
> certainly no number to sneeze at, but unfortunately there hasn˘t been much
> innovation to show for it over the last 5-6 years. I know some will say the
> mobile phone has reached its peak in features, but they˘ve been saying that
> for a long time. A truly innovative company would create things customers
> didn˘t know they wanted, not new colors or emojis.

Well, integrated 5G modems are a thing in the Android world for a while.
Why do you think Apple can't make & integrate something as simple as that?

Being a sensibly logical person, you have to ask yourself that question.
Why is Apple five to ten years behind everyone else in integrated SOC tech?

> On the other hand they˘ve spent $674 billion on stock buybacks to prop up
> their value. One could argue this has had a much greater effect on the
> livelihood and future prospects of millions of people within their
> portfolios. Personally I˘m happy with that even though I only own their
> stock indirectly in ETFs and such. Certainly Apple has been a great
> contributor to my retirement outlook, even though the stock market has
> taken a dump the past few days.

Well, it's clear what Apple cares about, given they use the word
"breathtaking" when saying nobody but Apple spends money that way.

What Apple does not spend its money on, clearly, is on technology R&D.

     For example, *QA is part of R&D*, right?

Knowing that fact, why do you think the iPhone is always the most exploited
phone in human history? It's not because they're testing it well, right?

I posit these are logically sensible questions to ask of Apple's spending.