Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v8sm8f$1gjt3$1@dont-email.me>

From: Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Re:_=e2=80=9cDARPA_suggests_turning_old_C_code_automatica?=
 =?UTF-8?Q?lly_into_Rust_=e2=80=93_using_AI=2c_of_course=e2=80=9d?=
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2024 04:18:23 -0400

On Mon, 8/5/2024 5:02 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> “DARPA suggests turning old C code automatically into Rust – using AI, of course”
>    https://www.theregister.com/2024/08/03/darpa_c_to_rust/
>
> “To accelerate the transition to memory safe programming languages, the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is driving the development of TRACTOR, a programmatic code conversion vehicle.”
>
> “The term stands for TRanslating All C TO Rust. It's a DARPA project that aims to develop machine-learning tools that can automate the conversion of legacy C code into Rust.”
>
> I have never used a code translator that converted 100% of the code properly.
>
> Lynn

This slide, captures what a participant feels about the idea.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/immunant/c2rust/master/docs/c2rust-overview.png

    ( https://github.com/immunant/c2rust )

That's why the slide consists of a "printf() to println:() translator".

Now, think of all the reasons they believe that to be the case.

The sum total of the quality of the input, determines the output.
An AI will *never* ask you for more information. It runs with what
it has. It does not care whether the result is relevant or not.
And just try and micro-manage one, and see what happens.

   Paul