Article <v8v1f9$28063$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v8v1f9$28063$1@dont-email.me>

From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: [NEWS] Apple tightens up macOS Gatekeeper (slightly)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2024 17:42:02 +1200

On 2024-08-07 03:01:33 +0000, Fishrrman said:
> On 8/6/24 4:46 PM, Your Name wrote:
>
>>    You'll no longer be able to override Gatekeeper in
>>    macOS Sequoia with a keyboard shortcut as Apple
>>    continues to crack down on unsigned software.
>
> Seems to me that I was able to override it by opening terminal and then
> typing in
> sudo spctl --master-disable
>
> ... and entering my password afterwards.
>
> I dislike Apple interfering with what I can and can't run.
> Disabling Gatekeeper is one of the first things I do on any new Mac or
> OS install/upgrade.

In earlier versions of macOS, you could simply use a System Preferences
setting to allow apps from "anywhere" to be opened, but that got
removed / hidden in later versions.

Control / right click and choosing Open was a quick way of getting many
apps to run when Gatekeeper interferred. Occassionally that didn't work
either, so using the Terminal command to turn off Gatekeeper usually
worked instead. (Once you've opened the 'naughty' app, you can always
turn Gatekeeper back on using the Terminal command:
    sudo spctl --master-enable

Things got a bit more difficult in newer versions of macOS with the SIP
protection that can only be turned off via Terminal in Safe Boot mode.

Apple is obviously tightening things up further. Eventually it will
probably be like iOS / iPadOS and only allow apps to be installed form
the official Apple App Store and the approved other app stores that new
laws have forced Apple into allowing.