Article <v8vqs3$107tl$1@paganini.bofh.team>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v8vqs3$107tl$1@paganini.bofh.team>

From: Just Me <meeeeee@meeeee.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10, comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS Access
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2024 12:59:10 +0000

> On 6 Aug 2024 08:47:36 +1000, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>
>> In comp.os.linux.misc vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:
>>
>>> As I said, I'd like to try Access on Linux using WINE or proton.
>> Some hints here for WINE, in case you haven't already seen:
>> https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=12
>>
>> Seems you might need to use the "Winetricks" system to separately
>> install the database engine for the database system that you're using
>> with Access.
> Should stay up long enough, at least, so you can extract all the data and
> convert the system to LibreOffice Base with your choice of DBMS backends.
Users can import Access database in MS-SQL and access the data using
Excel with appropriate connector that is available from Microsoft.

MS-SQL Express edition is free for users. It is available for Windows,
Linux and Docker container. There is a learning curve for people who are
new to industry class databases but once this is passed, the user would
be quite happy to use it assuming he has mastery of creating Forms in
Excel. With forms you can post new entries and also retrieve the entries
like any databases including Access. There are many tutorials available
online and on YouTube.

<https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/sql-server/sql-server-downloads>