Article <v92mhu$vban$2@solani.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v92mhu$vban$2@solani.org>

From: Mild Shock <janburse@fastmail.fm>
Newsgroups: sci.logic
Subject: The anchoring problem in a real world philosopher (Re: LLM and
 Prolog, a Marriage in Heaven?)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2024 17:00:14 +0200

Hi,

Lets say one milestone in cognitive science,
is the concept of "bounded rationality".
It seems LLMs have some traits that are also

found in humans. For example the anchoring effect
is a psychological phenomenon in which an
individual’s judgements or decisions

are influenced by a reference point or “anchor”
which can be completely irrelevant. Like for example
when discussing Curry Howard isomorphism with

a real world philosopher , one that might
not know Curry Howard isomorphism but

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring_effect

nevertheless be tempted to hallucinate some nonsense.
One highly cited paper in this respect is Tversky &
Kahneman 1974. R.I.P. Daniel Kahneman,

March 27, 2024. The paper is still cited today:

Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Biases: A Viewpoint
https://www.cairn.info/revue-journal-of-innovation-economics-2024-2-page-223.htm

Maybe using deeper and/or more careful reasoning,
possibly backed up by Prolog engine, could have
a positive effect? Its very difficult also for a

Prolog engine, since there is a trade-off
between producing no answer at all if the software
agent is too careful, and of producing a wealth

of nonsense otherwise.

Bye

https://www.cairn.info/revue-internationale-de-philosophie-2003-2-page-21.htm