Article <v9atus$2s5l$1@gal.iecc.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v9atus$2s5l$1@gal.iecc.com>

From: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Instruction Tracing
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2024 17:55:40 -0000 (UTC)

According to OrangeFish  <OrangeFish@invalid.invalid>:
>> As far as the delayed branches and such, they made sense in the narrow
>> time window when it was too expensive to put a cache on a workstation
>> but that time came and went by the time the RT shipped.
>
>A long time ago, I heard (or maybe read) that the original ROMP was
>chopped in half (the FP stuff was removed) by orders of marketing for
>some sort of h/w word-processor.  When that product bombed and the
>workstation market blossomed, the engineers "bolted" the FP stuff back
>on.  I cannot find the source.  Is there any truth to this?

I also heard that the ROMP was originally intended for some sort of
word processor from the Office Products division (the O in ROMP) and
was repurposed into a workstation.

The RT's floating point was an add-on card with a Natl Semi FPU
that appeared at high memory addresses.  I would be surprised if
any of the ROMP's predecessors had hardware FP.  The 801 didn't
and it would make no sense for word processing.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",