Article <v9cr7h$38lqf$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v9cr7h$38lqf$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bart <bc@freeuk.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: how cast works?
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2024 12:21:21 +0100

On 12/08/2024 08:33, Tim Rentsch wrote:
> Bart <bc@freeuk.com> writes:
>
>> On 09/08/2024 00:17, Keith Thompson wrote:
>>
>>> Bart <bc@freeuk.com> writes:
>>> [...]
>
> [...]
>
>> Since C likes to use the term 'cast' for such conversions, [...]
>
> The C standard uses the term 'cast' only for explicit conversions,
> and never uses the term 'cast' for implicit conversions.  You
> should do the same.

I'm not the C standard.

>> It just seems to irk the pedantics here.
>
> What bothers people is not you using the wrong terminology.  What
> bothers people is you being a self-centered jerk, and deliberately
> using incorrect terminology just to annoy people.
>
> Incidentally, the word "pedantic" is an adjective.  The noun form
> is "pedant".  People who complain about you using terminology
> incorrectly are not being pedants.

My bad.

> They simply are offended by
> your never-ending efforts to be a pest and an asshole.

Interesting, as people could say that about you as well.

Some people here like to drag every discussion, every topic, into the
realm of the C Standard. And a few like to seize on the slightest misuse
of a term which has a specific meaning in C standard, even though that
has no practical bearing on the discussion

But what about terms that do not appear in the C Standard?

Since it doesn't use 'implicit cast', presumably I can give that any
meaning I like, including meaning 'implicit type conversion'. 'cast' is
shorter to write than 'conversion' or 'coercion', and adds variety to
sentences.

I notice that no one picked on the casual use of terms I found in the
N1570 standard, or just waved them aside:

  * Using 'explicit cast'  (which implies 'implicit cast') (6.5.4p3)

  * Using 'type casts' (redundant 'type') (H.2.4P1)

  * Using ' ... conversions (casts) ...' where, if 'conversions' can
    include implicit ones, would imply implicit casts too (H.2.4p4/5)