Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v9nn5q$1f3op$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bart <bc@freeuk.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_technology_discussion_=E2=86=92_does_the_world_need?=
 =?UTF-8?B?IGEgIm5ldyIgQyA/?=
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2024 15:19:38 +0100
 <v6n8iu$24af0$1@dont-email.me> <20240711115418.00001cdf@yahoo.com>
 <v6oamt$2d8nn$1@dont-email.me> <v6oct4$2djgq$2@dont-email.me>
 <v6of96$2ekb0$1@dont-email.me> <v6ovfc$2hcpf$1@dont-email.me>
 <v6p4hf$2icph$1@dont-email.me> <v6qgpu$2t6p7$3@dont-email.me>
 <v6r33m$30grj$1@dont-email.me> <20240712154252.00005c2f@yahoo.com>
 <86o7717jj1.fsf@linuxsc.com> <v6ti10$3gru4$1@dont-email.me>
 <v78af7$1qkuf$1@dont-email.me> <20240717163457.000067bb@yahoo.com>
 <v78piu$1su4u$1@dont-email.me> <86a5hep45h.fsf@linuxsc.com>
 <v9ktep$v5sk$1@dont-email.me> <87y14xsvnh.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
 <v9l95b$10ogv$1@dont-email.me> <87sev5s51s.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

On 16/08/2024 01:08, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> Bart <bc@freeuk.com> writes:

>>> Which is why, presumably, you didn't show the differences.  Your
>>> post was all polemic not part of a collegiate discussion of the
>>> similarities and differences.

>>> No, the entry is correct.  H(p) would be (is?) disallowed when H's
>>> parameter is a reference to an array.
>>
>> Sorry, what language does the right-hand column pertain to? /Any/ language
>> that has call-by-reference, or Tim's hypthetical language?
>
> Tim said that case was "disallowed".  You call that an error on his
> part.  What language did you have in mind that permits such a gross
> warping of types?  I would describe /any/ language that allowed it as
> having a design error.

You or he would have to go into more detail, such as an actual example,
to demonstrate whatever it is that you think is wrong about passing a
pointer argument by-reference.

I assume here that the language in the right column is not C.

>> Or any that could be used to prove him right?
>>
>> In general there is no reason, in a language with true call-by-reference,
>> why any parameter type T (which has the form U*, a pointer to anything),
>> cannot be passed by reference. It doesn't matter whether U is an array type
>> or not.
>
> I can't unravel this.  Take, as a concrete example, C++.  You can't pass
> a pointer to function that takes an array passed by reference.  You can,
> of course, pass a pointer by reference, but that is neither here nor
> there.

OK. So why do you agree with this:

What is 'pointer argument' here?