Article <v9od8b$1i745$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v9od8b$1i745$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Proof that DDD specifies non-halting behavior --- reviewers
 disagree with basic facts
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2024 15:36:27 -0500
 <v9krc5$uqhs$1@dont-email.me> <v9l7hf$vao1$3@dont-email.me>
 <v9laed$113gd$2@dont-email.me>
 <EbecnaOe1ajC1yP7nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
 <v9llh9$12l6c$2@dont-email.me> <v9mt9h$1bdeu$3@dont-email.me>
 <P6-cnWf3Z5zzLyL7nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

On 8/16/2024 3:11 PM, Mike Terry wrote:
> On 16/08/2024 07:57, Fred. Zwarts wrote:

>>> *Fred has the same incorrect views as joes*
>>> *Here is where you agreed that Fred is wrong*
>>> *when replying to joes*
>>>
>>> On 8/14/2024 10:07 AM, Mike Terry wrote:
>>>  > On 14/08/2024 08:43, joes wrote:
>>>  >> Am Tue, 13 Aug 2024 21:38:07 -0500 schrieb olcott:
>>>  >>> *Try to show exactly how DDD emulated by HHH
>>>  >>>  returns to its caller*>>
>>>  >>> (the first one doesn't even have a caller)
>>>  >>> Use the above machine language instructions to show this.
>>>  >> HHH simulates DDD    enter the matrix
>>>  >>    DDD calls HHH(DDD)    Fred: could be eliminated
>>>  >>    HHH simulates DDD    second level
>>>  >>      DDD calls HHH(DDD)    recursion detected
>>>  >>    HHH aborts, returns    outside interference
>>>  >>    DDD halts        voila
>>>  >> HHH halts
>>>  >
>>>  > You're misunderstanding the scenario?  If your
>>>  > simulated HHH aborts its simulation [line 5 above],
>>>  > then the outer level H would have aborted its
>>>  > identical simulation earlier.  You know that, right?
>>>  > [It's what people have been discussing here endlessly
>>>  > for the last few months! :) ]
>>>  >
>>>  > So your trace is impossible...
>>>  >
>>>

>> It is clear that olcott does not really read what I write. (Or is very
>> short of memory.)
>> I never said such a thing.
>> I repeatedly told that the simulating HHH aborted when the simulated
>> HHH had only one cycle to go. I never said that the simulated HHH
>> reached it abort and halted.
>> In fact, I said that the fact that the simulation fails to reach the
>> abort and halt of the simulated HHH proves that the simulation is
>> incomplete and incorrect, because a complete simulation (such as by
>> HHH1) shows that the simulated HHH would abort and halt.
>>
>> It now becomes clear that you either never understood what I said, or
>> your memory is indeed very short.
>> Give it some time to think about what I say, try to escape from
>> rebuttal mode, instead of ignoring it immediately.
>
> That's all correct.  Going further I'll suggest that PO really doesn't
> "understand" /anything/ with an abstract / logical / mathematical
> content.  He can't understand definitions or their role in proofs, or
> the role of proofs in establishing knowledge.  I'm not kidding or being
> rude or anything like that - it's simply the way his brain works.  *Of
> course* PO does not "really read what you write".  Surely you must have
> at least suspected this for a long time?!  [I don't notice any problem
> with PO's memory.]

I break my points down to the basic facts of the semantics
of the x86 language and the basic facts of the semantics
of the C programming.

I can't ever get to the point of the computer science
because reviewers disagree with these basic facts.

void DDD()
{
   HHH(DDD);
}

_DDD()
[00002172] 55         push ebp      ; housekeeping
[00002173] 8bec       mov ebp,esp   ; housekeeping
[00002175] 6872210000 push 00002172 ; push DDD
[0000217a] e853f4ffff call 000015d2 ; call HHH(DDD)
[0000217f] 83c404     add esp,+04
[00002182] 5d         pop ebp
[00002183] c3         ret
Size in bytes:(0018) [00002183]

<MIT Professor Sipser agreed to ONLY these verbatim words 10/13/2022>
     If simulating halt decider H correctly simulates its input D
     until H correctly determines that its simulated D would never
     stop running unless aborted then

     H can abort its simulation of D and correctly report that D
     specifies a non-halting sequence of configurations.
</MIT Professor Sipser agreed to ONLY these verbatim words 10/13/2022>

*It is a basic fact that DDD emulated by HHH according to*
*the semantics of the x86 language cannot possibly stop*
*running unless aborted*

Mike might try to change the subject but I doubt if he
would disagree with this basic fact.

*It took me two years to find a way to define correct*
*simulation such that all disagreement looks foolish*

There are more steps to my proof in addition to this
yet the above portion of my proof is a necessary
prerequisite. If people disagree with arithmetic how
are we ever going to get to the subject of algebra?