Article <v9pvoo$1sn55$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v9pvoo$1sn55$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell,comp.unix.programmer,comp.lang.misc
Subject: Re: Python (was Re: I did not inhale)
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2024 12:58:31 +0200

On 2024-08-17 11:01, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Aug 2024 15:02:20 -0000 (UTC)
> kalevi@kolttonen.fi (Kalevi Kolttonen) gabbled:
>> So it is indeed a vague question of what belongs in given programming
>> languages.
>
> Indeed. And this gives rise to inconsistency. Why is threading now considered
> a core part of C++ but multi process isn't? Perhaps because Windows is hopeless
> at the latter in user space but it could just be personal preference within the
> C++ steering committee, who knows.

Windows inter-process API are far more advanced than what UNIX ever had.
It would be enough to mention famous file locks. These days Linux has
futex + file mapping. So, finally, you can create a system-wide mutex.
Which under Windows is a single API call.
The reason why processes are not included is that they are used to deal
with some OS or design flaw that forces you to spawn some script or
application. Then real-time embedded applications may have no processes
at all.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov