Article <v9samp$2aobf$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v9samp$2aobf$1@dont-email.me>

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell,comp.unix.programmer,comp.lang.misc
Subject: Re: Python (was Re: I did not inhale)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2024 08:17:29 -0000 (UTC)
 <uvbe3m$2cun7$1@dont-email.me> <uvbfii$3mom0$1@news.xmission.com>
 <20240412094809.811@kylheku.com> <87il0mm94y.fsf@tudado.org>
 <way-20240413091747@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de> <87il0lldf8.fsf@tudado.org>
 <choices-20240413123957@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
 <v9lm2k$12qhv$1@dont-email.me> <v9m4gd$14scu$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240815182717.189@kylheku.com> <v9npls$1fjus$1@dont-email.me>
 <v9posc$1rpdj$1@dont-email.me>
 <v9pvoo$1sn55$1@dont-email.me>

On Sat, 17 Aug 2024 12:58:31 +0200
"Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> boringly babbled:
>On 2024-08-17 11:01, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Aug 2024 15:02:20 -0000 (UTC)
>> kalevi@kolttonen.fi (Kalevi Kolttonen) gabbled:
>>> So it is indeed a vague question of what belongs in given programming
>>> languages.
>>
>> Indeed. And this gives rise to inconsistency. Why is threading now considered
>
>> a core part of C++ but multi process isn't? Perhaps because Windows is
>hopeless
>> at the latter in user space but it could just be personal preference within
>the
>> C++ steering committee, who knows.
>
>Windows inter-process API are far more advanced than what UNIX ever had.

No they're not. The core IPC is less sophisticated than unix but libraries
build upon those shallow foundations.

>It would be enough to mention famous file locks. These days Linux has
>futex + file mapping. So, finally, you can create a system-wide mutex.
>Which under Windows is a single API call.

No sane person uses system wide mutexes as they can cause horrendous
problems.

>The reason why processes are not included is that they are used to deal
>with some OS or design flaw that forces you to spawn some script or
>application. Then real-time embedded applications may have no processes

Clearly you've never written a mission critical server backend. You never
use threads if forking a seperate process can do the same job. If a thread
crashes in a multi threaded server it brings down the entire server. If a
child process crashes, well to bad, but at least the rest of the server
processes are still running.

Also shell pipelining is obviously not something you're familiar with.