Article <v9sgrr$2bgqj$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v9sgrr$2bgqj$1@dont-email.me>

From: Nuno Silva <nunojsilva@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Using Debian to manage a multiple OS machine
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2024 11:02:34 +0100

On 2024-08-18, Jack Strangio wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> writes:
>> On Fri, 16 Aug 2024 10:12:09 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
>>
>> > That being said, if you're not an expert, avoid dual boot please.
>> > Especially if Windows is one of the OSses.
>>
>> I have heard others recommend against dual boot, too. Mistakes will likely
>> lead to neither OS being able to boot; this is typically easy to fix if
>> you know your way around a tool like SystemRescue, but if not, it can be
>> fatal.
>
> Nah. You backup your EFI partition daily along with the rest of your bits.
>
> If there is a disaster, you can revert your boot-manager to the way it was
> last night with 'dd' and about 10 seconds.
>
> Having booted up the system, you can repair it easily.

This is probably the chicken-and-egg aspect of it. Probably the best is
having an isolated (removable or otherwise unplugged) bootable medium
ready in case it's needed.

I guess the main risk with multiple boot scenarios involving Windows is
Windows wiping it out on purpose. (Or perhaps out of incompetence? I
mean, it's said not to attribute to malice...)

--
Nuno Silva