Article <v9vu5f$2uo38$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v9vu5f$2uo38$1@dont-email.me>

From: BGB <cr88192@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: My 66000 and High word facility
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2024 12:07:59 -0500
 <v991kh$vu8g$1@dont-email.me> <2024Aug11.163333@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>
 <v9b57p$2rkrq$1@dont-email.me> <v9brm4$33kmd$1@dont-email.me>
 <e369e386b23628e5388e95b5a92af62d@www.novabbs.org>
 <v9jij9$lk6a$1@dont-email.me> <v9jjjn$lofu$1@dont-email.me>
 <v9k38n$rg2a$1@dont-email.me> <v9mklt$1air0$1@dont-email.me>
 <1bf2c13fc41cf8aeca4a746052c03ce3@www.novabbs.org>
 <v9oqjo$1k775$1@dont-email.me>
 <cfa0a9c4bda9421fee8ce512bdcd58bf@www.novabbs.org>
 <v9r2s7$21r0k$1@dont-email.me> <jwvjzgcsdqs.fsf-monnier+comp.arch@gnu.org>

On 8/19/2024 11:05 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Task swapping time is way down in the noise. It’s reloading the L1 and L2
>> cache that swamps the time. 64 registers is nothing compared to 32k or
>> megabytes.
>
> Depends on the kind of swap.  If you're thinking of time-sharing
> preemption, then indeed context switch time is not important.
>
> But when considering communication between processes, then very fast
> context switch times allow for finer grain divisions, like
> micro-kernels.
>
> Historically, these things have never really materialized, admittedly.

FWIW: One of the things that led me to the temptation to consider
register banks, was not "ye olde preemptive task scheduling", but rather
the relatively higher cost of performing COM-like method calls between
one task and another.

Theoretically, with 4 banks:
   Task 1, Task 2, Kernel / Syscall, Interrupt
The caller could be put in Task 1 and the called task in Task 2.