Article <va2j79$3f6t8$3@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<va2j79$3f6t8$3@dont-email.me>

From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: cyclists attack auto driver
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2024 13:19:38 -0400

On 8/20/2024 12:59 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Aug 2024 12:33:06 -0400, Catrike Ryder
> <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>>> While it's true that autodidacts often suffer gaps of
>>> education, it's also true that graduates include those who
>>> tested well with little post college retention and also
>>> those of extremely narrow education.
>>>
>>> Neither is a perfect solution for everyone.
>
>> ...and many with a near, or even a totallly worthless degree.
>> https://www.universities.com/resources/most-useless-degrees
>
> Such lists are useful for avoiding professions that don't pay well.
> However, they are often interpreted as suggesting one should not take
> any classes in the various listed "useless degree" fields.  While I
> majored in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, the next most USEFUL
> classes I took were (in order starting with most useful):
> - Economics
> - Psychology
> - Tractor driving and mechanics
> - Computer programming
> - Philosophy
> None of these classes would have been useful had I not concentrated on
> my chosen profession.  For example, I know engineers who dabble in
> philosophy, but no psychologists or economists who know anything about
> engineering.
:-)  When my wife returned to college, she and I took a Music
Appreciation course together. On the advice of a musician friend, we
took the more advanced version intended for music majors, not the
General Education version.

Anyway: The professor knew of my department. Several times, he make some
slightly disparaging cracks about a certain "engineer" who became a
music major.

I eventually pointed out to him (diplomatically) that the guy he called
an "engineer" was a guy who had actually dropped out of engineering. And
I also pointed out that I was voluntarily taking a course in his
program. He would never be able to take a course in mine.

BTW, despite that last comment of mine, we still get along just fine. I
have several friends among Music faculty.

--
- Frank Krygowski