Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<va45eq$3pkt9$1@dont-email.me>

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell,comp.unix.programmer,comp.lang.misc
Subject: Re: Python (was Re: I did not inhale)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2024 07:36:58 -0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 21 Aug 2024 09:26:41 +0200
David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no> boringly babbled:
>So I don't question that it is interesting, informative, or a pleasure
>to read.  I question that it is /necessary/.  You simply cannot argue
>that people who want to program for Linux /must/ read that book.  There
>is no justification for that claim.  There is no justification for
>claiming that people wanting to program for Linux need to read any books
>on the topic at all, nor for claims that people need to "know POSIX" to
>be able to write code for Linux and/or in C.

Only knowing core C will severely limit what you can do on any OS. If
you're happy just coding up file processors or some self contained
mathematical algo and simply writing to stdout or a file then fine, but to do
anything more sophisticated you'll need to know the OS API whether its posix
+ X on *nix or Win32 on Windows.

>There are a thousand and one ways to learn about the workings of Linux -
>and that's counting "reading books" as one way, regardless of /which/

Linear learning is usually better than snippets from google. If you want
to learn a shakespear play you read the book, you don't google little bits
of it at a time.