Article <va65ek$66ej$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<va65ek$66ej$1@dont-email.me>

From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: cyclists attack auto driver
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2024 21:49:07 -0400

On 8/21/2024 4:11 PM, Catrike Ryder wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Aug 2024 14:16:18 -0400, Frank Krygowski
> <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> ISTM that I'm betting I'll not need a gun. Over thousands and thousands
>> of trips, I've always been proven right.
>>
>> Our Florida tricycle rider is, in effect, betting that he's going to
>> someday need a gun.
>
> <sigh> ...Strawman.  A bet involves an ante or a stake. Something that
> you lose if you lose the bet.

You've already lost. You spent money to buy the gun you were afraid you
needed for "protection." That was the main part of your "stake," and
that money is gone. You also spent time building your special Quick Draw
McGraw holster down by your crotch. That time is gone. At least, since
your riding is limited to almost perfectly flat bike paths, you don't
lose much due to the weight of the gun.

>> Sounds like in at least hundreds of trips, he's been
>> consistently proven wrong.
>
> Does the fact that we've never needed the window break tools we carry
> in both vehicles prove that it's wrong to carry them?

Seriously?? You bought tools to break your car's windows if you're
trapped inside?  Gawd! How paranoid!

>> But still, he's afraid.
>
> That's from the guy that insists that my riding on bidirectional
> sidepaths is dangerous and that my having a gun in my home (I have
> four) puts me in danger of being shot.

And I've provided clear documentation of the data showing that those
with guns in the home are more likely to be shot (although in your case,
data shows your wife is more at risk); and data showing that
bidirectional bike paths are much more dangerous for the wrong-way
cyclists entering intersections.

But I suppose a person has to have actual education in science to
understand such data...

> ...And he says that I'm fearful.

You obviously are. Nobody else here has shared your fears.

--
- Frank Krygowski