Article <va7d5n$efcb$4@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<va7d5n$efcb$4@dont-email.me>

From: AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: cyclists attack auto driver
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2024 08:07:02 -0500

On 8/21/2024 8:49 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 8/21/2024 4:11 PM, Catrike Ryder wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Aug 2024 14:16:18 -0400, Frank Krygowski
>> <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>> ISTM that I'm betting I'll not need a gun. Over thousands
>>> and thousands
>>> of trips, I've always been proven right.
>>>
>>> Our Florida tricycle rider is, in effect, betting that
>>> he's going to
>>> someday need a gun.
>>
>> <sigh> ...Strawman.  A bet involves an ante or a stake.
>> Something that
>> you lose if you lose the bet.
>
> You've already lost. You spent money to buy the gun you were
> afraid you needed for "protection." That was the main part
> of your "stake," and that money is gone. You also spent time
> building your special Quick Draw McGraw holster down by your
> crotch. That time is gone. At least, since your riding is
> limited to almost perfectly flat bike paths, you don't lose
> much due to the weight of the gun.
>

>>> Sounds like in at least hundreds of trips, he's been
>>> consistently proven wrong.
>>
>> Does the fact that we've never needed the window break
>> tools we carry
>> in both vehicles prove that it's wrong to carry them?
>
> Seriously?? You bought tools to break your car's windows if
> you're trapped inside?  Gawd! How paranoid!
>
>>> But still, he's afraid.
>>
>> That's from the guy that insists that my riding on
>> bidirectional
>> sidepaths is dangerous and that my having a gun in my home
>> (I have
>> four) puts me in danger of being shot.
>
> And I've provided clear documentation of the data showing
> that those with guns in the home are more likely to be shot
> (although in your case, data shows your wife is more at
> risk); and data showing that bidirectional bike paths are
> much more dangerous for the wrong-way cyclists entering
> intersections.
>
> But I suppose a person has to have actual education in
> science to understand such data...
>
>> ...And he says that I'm fearful.
>
> You obviously are. Nobody else here has shared your fears.

Actually, that's a real thing.  In modern autos (unlike
mine) a loss of electric power to the door locks and windows
commonly traps (often injured) occupants inside.  Window
break tools are a common popular thing now.

https://emergencyresponderproducts.com/products/supreme-safety-window-punch-1

--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org