Article <va9jlu$1jq0j$1@solani.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<va9jlu$1jq0j$1@solani.org>

From: Physfitfreak <physfitfreak@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.physics
Subject: Re: International Physics Olympiad :-)
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2024 04:10:22 -0500

The country (or team) scores show Iran made it to 6th position which if
you put the population factor into it is pretty good. Romania again did
great right below Russia. I wished a second list was given which would
have the population of that country factored into it. The 5 best
students of a billion people country is of course different from 5 best
of an 80 million people country.

But if a low population 5 best students does a better job than a high
population 5 best, then it would point to better education system in the
lower population country.

So some conclusions can be drawn even when a second list with population
factored in is not given. For instance in the scores below, China has
half a billion people fewer than India, but all 5 students got gold,
while Indians got 2 golds and 3 silvers. Iran with only 80 million
population got 1 gold and 4 silvers, a difference of just one kid losing
the gold to a silver compared to India with a more than 1.5 billion
people. So definitely although Iran got rank 6 and India rank 4,
Iranians in fact did better than Indians. Same goes for Romania which is
doing really great, perhaps even better than all the other countries if
you factore in the population.

India, with highest populaiton in the world (1.5 billion) should
statistically be always at the top of this list. But it has never been
there.

Anyway, not a bad idea if somebody here use this list and the population
of the countries involved to get a more realistic result that is shown
below. I bet you'll find interesting surprises in it :-) Just off the
back of my head, I say Romania is really at the top. Not China. They did
great in the past years too.

In UTD, a physics professor that conducted research in quantum
electronics married a hot tall (but not taller than him) m,Romanian
physicist woman, and back then Romania was a communist country. Once I
and another friend (a student of his) were talking to him and I asked
him whether he was a bit uneasy about secrets involved in his research
leak to Romanians. He had no problem answering that. He said, "Hah.. it
is me who wish to obtain some Romanian ideas, not vice versa!"  :-))) He
did invent a few nice ways and methods. One of them was a way to create
diamond using lasers, which saw immediate use in Japanese computer
devices. He sued unsuccessfully for using his invention without his
permission. The damning factor was the fact that the work had been done
with federal government money, so it didn't belong to him.

The country score (team scores) is as follows:
G stands for Gold
S for Silver
B for Bronze
HM for Honorable Mention

Country 	              Rank 	G 	S 	B 	HM

People's Republic of China 	1 	5 	0 	0 	0
Russia 	                        2 	4 	1 	0 	0
Romania 	                3 	3 	2 	0 	0
India 	                        4 	2 	3 	0 	0
Vietnam 	                4 	2 	3 	0 	0
Islamic Republic of Iran 	6 	1 	4 	0 	0
Belarus 	                7 	1 	1 	3 	0
Kazakhstan 	                8 	0 	4 	1 	0
Syria 	                        9 	0 	2 	3 	0
Türkiye 	               10 	0 	2 	2 	1
Georgia 	               11 	0 	2 	2 	0
Bulgaria 	               12 	0 	1 	4 	0
Mongolia 	               12 	0 	1 	4 	0
Serbia 	                       12 	0 	1 	4 	0
Saudi Arabia 	               15 	0 	1 	3 	1
Croatia 	               16 	0 	1 	2 	1
North Macedonia 	       16 	0 	1 	2 	1
Azerbaijan 	               18 	0 	1 	1 	2
Bangladesh 	               18 	0 	1 	1 	2
Indonesia 	               18 	0 	1 	1 	2
Cyprus 	                       21 	0 	1 	0 	0
Republic of Korea 	       21 	0 	1 	0 	0
Thailand 	               23 	0 	0 	4 	1
Armenia 	               24 	0 	0 	3 	2
Pakistan 	               25 	0 	0 	3 	1
Bosnia and Herzegovina 	       26 	0 	0 	2 	1
Moldova 	               27 	0 	0 	1 	3
Malaysia 	               28 	0 	0 	1 	2
Mexico 	                       28 	0 	0 	1 	2
Uzbekistan 	               28 	0 	0 	1 	2
Kyrgyzstan 	               31 	0 	0 	1 	1
Nepal 	                       31 	0 	0 	1 	1
Tajikistan 	               31 	0 	0 	1 	1
United Arab Emirates 	       34 	0 	0 	1 	0
Colombia 	               35 	0 	0 	0 	1
Montenegro 	               35 	0 	0 	0 	1