Article <vafne4$1vs20$3@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vafne4$1vs20$3@dont-email.me>

From: David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Top 10 most common hard skills listed on resumes...
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 18:51:16 +0200

On 25/08/2024 14:18, John Forkosh wrote:
> Bart <bc@freeuk.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess C++ is used much more often because you're multiple times
>>> more produdtive than with C. And programming in C++ is a magnitude
>>> less error-prone.
>>
>> C++ incorporates most of C. So someone can write 'C++' code but can
>> still have most of the same problems as C.
>>
>> Meanwhile real C++ code has several times more boilerplate than C. HTF
>> you can even discern your actual program amidst all that crap is beyond me.
>>
>> There /are/ proper higher level languages than both C and C++. You can
>> use one to help develop a working application, then porting that part to
>> C is a quicker, simpler and safer process.
>
> I recall C as originally characterized as a "portable assembly language",

You recall incorrectly.  Or, rather, you correctly recall people
incorrectly characterizing it that way.

One of C's original intents (and it has been extraordinarily successful
at it) is to reduce the need to write assembly language.

> as opposed to a "higher level language". And I'd agree with that
> assessment,

Then you'd be wrong.  Dangerously wrong - people who think C is a kind
of "portable assembly language" regularly write incorrect code and miss
much of the point of the language.

> whereby I think you're barking up the wrong tree by trying
> to evaluate its merits/demerits vis-a-vis higher-level languages.
> Consider it with respect to its own objectives, instead.

That's word salad without content.  You are saying that C should be
treated like C.