Article <vak6f8$2tsqj$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vak6f8$2tsqj$2@dont-email.me>

From: David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Top 10 most common hard skills listed on resumes...
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2024 11:32:24 +0200
 <vad8lr$1fv5u$1@dont-email.me> <vaf7f0$k51$2@reader1.panix.com>
 <vafgb2$1to4v$2@dont-email.me>
 <vafkdk$1ut4h$2@raubtier-asyl.eternal-september.org>
 <20240825192810.0000672c@yahoo.com>
 <vafs6u$21ofd$1@raubtier-asyl.eternal-september.org>
 <vafsst$20j4p$3@dont-email.me> <vaj3c4$2lb2c$1@dont-email.me>
 <vaj46o$2kusd$2@dont-email.me> <vajvoh$2t849$1@dont-email.me>
 <vak35f$2tphj$1@raubtier-asyl.eternal-september.org>

On 27/08/2024 10:36, Bonita Montero wrote:
> Am 27.08.2024 um 09:37 schrieb David Brown:
>

>> But it is also fair to say that abstractions are less than you might
>> see on "big" systems.  For systems programming, there is more concern
>> about the efficiency of the results, ...
>
> C++ is efficient and abstract in one.

Any simple one-line claim here is clearly going to be wrong.

C++ code can be efficient, or abstract, or both, or neither.  The
language supports a wide range of coding practices, including bad ones.

Some types of abstraction inevitably have run-time costs (speed or code
space), which can be highly relevant in resource-constrained systems or
other situations where efficiency is paramount (games programming is a
fine example).  These abstractions may or may not be worth the cost in
the overall picture - it is up to the software developer to figure that
out, regardless of the language.

>> We very rarely see exceptions in this field, but OOP is certainly
>> common now.
>
> You have to accept exceptions with C++ since there are a lot of places
> where C++ throws a bad_alloc or system_error.

Incorrect.  Like most low-level or systems programmers using C++, I have
exceptions disabled and never use them.

>> Classes with non-virtual inheritance are basically cost-free, and
>> provide
>> structure, safety, encapsulation and flexibility.  Virtual functions have
>> overhead, ...
>
> The virtual function overhead isn't notwworthy and not much more over
> manual dispatch.

Incorrect.

You simply don't know what you are talking about for programming at this
level - whether it is in C or C++.

Virtual function overhead will sometimes be worth the cost, and in some
circumstances it can be less than more manual dispatch methods.  But it
is not cost-free, and the overhead can most certainly be relevant if it
is used inappropriately.

>> But you certainly can use a range of abstractions in C programming too.
>
> C doesn't supply features to have abstractions like in C++.

As I said, you can use a lot of abstractions in C programming, but C++
can make many types of abstraction easier, safer, and more efficient.

>> I don't think BM's posts are generally good or clear examples of uses
>> of C++. And I don't think continuously posting "C++ would be ten times
>> easier" in c.l.c is helpful to anyone.
>
> C is just too much work.

Feel free to unsubscribe from the Usenet group dedicated to a language
you so strongly dislike.