Article <vaon52$3qjup$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vaon52$3qjup$1@dont-email.me>

From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: People Without Meaningful Lives Seek Power Over Others
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 22:41:37 -0400

On 8/28/2024 9:58 PM, John B. wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Aug 2024 10:08:23 -0400, Frank Krygowski
> <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 8/27/2024 9:37 PM, AMuzi wrote:
>>>
>>> USA is a Constitutional Republic.
>>>
>>> Democracy is something else, for example where the Hutus wake up one
>>> morning and kill the Tutsis. Because they can.
>>>
>>> Or more simply, two wolves and a sheep voting on lunch.
>>
>> There are very logical and practical reasons against running a country
>> as a pure democracy. That's why its essentially never done.
>>
>> Even in a small town, can you imagine needing all the population to vote
>> on every administrative decision? And can you imagine how random the
>> votes would be, since very few voters would understand the context of
>> the issue, or the consequences of their choice?
>>
>> And following the money, it would be easy for those with profits at
>> stake to flood the citizens with misinformation, to buy the result they
>> wanted.
>
> I grew up in a small New England town and it was governed by a pure
> democratic system. We had "Town Meeting Day" where everyone met in the
> "Movie Theater" and elected a "Select Man" for the next year. Each
> department head had to get up and defend their department's actions
> over the previous year and justify any unusual actions planned for
> next year.
>
> It's still governed in a similar manner, a 9 man elected City Council
> who elect or appoint a City Manager who handles the day to day
> programs.

If you turn day to day programs over to a city manager and a 9 man
council, ISTM that's not a pure democratic system. Because those folks
are in power, they makes decisions based on what they think is right.

It's not much different than the U.S. electing representatives and
senators.

--
- Frank Krygowski