Article <vav1mc$10jsm$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vav1mc$10jsm$2@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.logic
Subject: Re: This makes all Analytic(Olcott) truth computable --- truth-bearer
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2024 07:18:20 -0500
 <v9qgn7$1tedb$15@dont-email.me> <v9sisj$2bs9m$1@dont-email.me>
 <v9slov$2c67u$3@dont-email.me> <v9uusd$2q1fo$1@dont-email.me>
 <v9vfh4$2rjt1$10@dont-email.me> <va1p24$3bb53$1@dont-email.me>
 <va26l9$3cvgv$5@dont-email.me>
 <bcbebf04fffc6303a7c7b0c9e40738214b92c22e@i2pn2.org>
 <va4nl9$3s0hu$4@dont-email.me> <va79ku$e616$1@dont-email.me>
 <va7e4r$ebdg$5@dont-email.me> <va9hhv$rnd8$1@dont-email.me>
 <vabjtg$18mb5$1@dont-email.me> <vamkj9$3d9h5$1@dont-email.me>
 <van4bn$3f6c0$7@dont-email.me> <vapahi$3t794$1@dont-email.me>
 <vaptg0$3vumk$1@dont-email.me> <vashs2$gt3t$1@dont-email.me>
 <vasluc$hg5i$1@dont-email.me> <vaul3p$v1nl$1@dont-email.me>

On 8/31/2024 3:43 AM, Mikko wrote:
> On 2024-08-30 14:45:32 +0000, olcott said:

>>> There is no need for an isomorphism between a set an a can of soup.
>>> There is nothing inherently incoherent in Quine's atom. Some set
>>> theories allow it, some don't. Cantor's theory does not say either
>>> way.
>>>

>> Quine atoms (named after Willard Van Orman Quine) are sets that only
>> contain themselves, that is, sets that satisfy the formula x = {x}.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urelement#Quine_atoms
>>
>> Wrongo. This is exactly isomorphic to the incoherent notion of a
>> can of soup so totally containing itself that it has no outside
>> boundary.
>
> As I already said, that isomorphism is not needed. It is not useful.

It proves incoherence at a deeper level. Prior to my
isomorphism we only have Russell's Paradox to show
that there is a problem with Naive set theory.

That these kind of paradoxes are not understood to
mean incoherence in the system has allowed the issue
of undecidability to remain open.

The Liar Paradox is isomorphic to a set containing itself:
Pathological self-reference(Olcott 2004) yet we still
construe the Liar Paradox as legitimate.

> Anyway, nice to see that you don't disagree with may observation that
> Quines atom is not inherently incoherent.

Even ZFC sees that it is incoherent. Quine seemed to be
a bit of a knucklehead. He was too dumb to understand that
analytic/synthetic distinction even when Carnap spelled
it out for him: ∀x (Bachelor(x) := ~Married(x))