Article <vb068d$168kg$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vb068d$168kg$1@dont-email.me>

From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: I honestly do not understand how people put up with Windows
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2024 15:42:21 -0700

On 2024-08-31 14:23, Tom Elam wrote:
> On 8/30/2024 3:14 PM, Alan wrote:
>> I've been forced to use a Windows PC lately to do some work in Word
>> where Microsoft has not seen fit to provide the same UI in Word for
>> macOS as it has in Word for Windows; specifically surrounding what
>> they now call "Content Controls" and which any normal person would
>> call form fields.
>>
>> It's not that the feature doesn't exist in the Mac version of Word—it
>> sort of does, but there is no user interface for creating or modifying
>> the content controls on the Mac. Microsoft just left them out! So, a
>> Windows PC has become necessary to do this work.
>>
>> And I'm doing so on a somewhat dated surplus PC I got from one of my
>> clients, but it's a decent midr-range machine: a Lenovo T450s first
>> released in 2015. And I've updated it to Windows 10.
>>
>> But actually working on it is AWFUL.
>>
>> The screen is awful. The rendering of fonts is awful. The fluidity of
>> the trackpad and pointer is awful.
>>
>> Using Word with a pointer that doesn't move fluidly is awful.
>>
>> Understand, this is not a problem with understanding how to use the
>> Windows UI.
>>
>> I'm just comparing the quality of the experience of how it behaves
>> against the gold standard...
>>
>> ...and it is coming up as dross.
>
> It's an 9 year old machine designed to run a Windows version prior to
> V.10 and it does not have a SSD. Get a more modern machine with solid
> state memory.

You think changing to an SSD will make the mouse move more fluidly?

That the Word UI will suddenly stop being janky?

Interesting.

Until quite recently, I was running a MacBook Pro from 2015, and it was
great.

And as usual, you get your facts wrong.

The drive is a Kingston SV300S37A/480G 480GB SATA SSD.