Article <vb1tk2$1fpao$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vb1tk2$1fpao$2@dont-email.me>

From: -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: The trip to France, Germany and Switzerland
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2024 10:27:13 -0400

On 8/31/24 5:13 PM, Tom Elam wrote:
> [...]
>>> stop. It was handled well and did not cause any issues for the schedule.
>>>
>>> Arriving Basel we did the ship's included city tour that was very
>>> well done. That afternoon we departed for Zurich, toured that city
>>> center for a day and a half by tram with a lake boat ride thrown in,
>>> and had a great meal on the last evening. Jolly good fun.
>>

>> There's a traditional swiss restaurant that I'd like to get back to in
>> Zurich, IIRC, not far from the Fraümunster: a good spot for Rösti.
>>

>>> Had a bit of a tram experience. The hotel was a few miles west of the
>>> lake and city center. Departing the hotel on line 4 for our dinner
>>> the tram stopped after about 10 minutes and it was announced that
>>> there had been an accident ahead involving a tram and car. Line 4 was
>>> being delayed and diverted. Almost all the passengers left the tram.
>>> Two young locals offered to show us how to get to our destination. We
>>> followed their instructions and arrived via a different route with
>>> minimal delay. Could have figured that out ourselves but their
>>> assistance was very helpful.
>>

>> Things like that happen.  Fortunately, you weren't time-stressed such
>> as heading to the airport for a departure flight.  Have had that
>> happen with a train issue in Belgium.
>>

>>> Flights back through Philly were both on time. Got to experience the
>>> 787 for the first time too.
>>
>> IIRC, the 787's Polaris is a bit more roomy than on their 757 version.
>>

>>> Next year? I'm voting for 2 weeks in southern/western France via
>>> rental car. The wife has veto power but there is a still lot we have
>>> not seen. And Hugh, I checked with National. My age is not an issue
>>> for them.
>>

>> Been meaning to get around to a "drive around" in FR as well: several
>> different directions though (Normandy, Mont-Saint-Miche, Bordeaux,
>> Chateaus, etc).
>>
>> Plus one probably unknown to Americans sight is the city of Bourges,
>> as there's a huge cathedral there that gets compared to Notre Dame
>> (but without crowds), plus an evening walk through its old timbered
>> houses section is nice: tastefully lit.  A single overnight is
>> adequate; figure it as 3.5+hrs (175mi) drive due south of Paris.
>>
>> And on the rental car, the important thing here is that the risk of
>> age restrictions is now on your checklist to verify in advance,
>> instead of getting blindsided at the last minute by it.
>>

>> -hh
>>

> We ate in that same D'Orsey restaurant. Much nicer than the small snack
> bar on the ground floor.
>
> I think the onboard AMA experience is every bit as good as Viking. But
> their excursions are better and the cabins a bit larger. My take is that
> Viking has become so big that with multiple ships in a port as seemed to
> happen frequently they have issues with smaller places some of the AMA
> excursions we liked. Example - the small music museum at Rudesheim. I
> also remember that the guides were better and we had more free time in

FWIW, some of this also depends on which river you're on, as the ships
on the Rhine have grown in size which limits where they can dock.

> I just today watched a YouTube on touring France that may change my mind
> a bit about next year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8RdNGT1jz8

[rearraging]

 > We have done 2 weeks in Normandy/Brittany and about the same in Paris
 > plus 2 trips that took us to the south coast. Time to branch out.
 > Massif Central, Loire Valley and Alsace are high on my list.

Yes, there's a huge number of regions in France that US tourists are
utterly unaware of.  There's some pretty wild scenery/canyons someplace
that I can't recall at the moment.  I think I could easily do 5-6 trips,
not too much unlike we've already done in Germany.

> Taking the TGV to a city then renting the car if you need it could be a
> lot of fun, even if a bit more expensive. Thoughts?

We used the TGV to go from Paris (Gare de l’Est) to Colmar/Strasbourg
(near the Rhine) in 2022:  it was straightforward, pretty easy, and
quite fast city to city:  Strasbourg's just 1:45.  I've also used the
Brussels to Paris "Thales" express too; IIRC, its just ~90 minutes or so
as well.

For Colmar, the train station's not super-central, so it was an easy 4-5
block walk pulling our bags.  Once there, there was one day where it
would have been good to have had a car, but it was also good to not have
to worry about parking a car the rest of the time.  The 'car day' was a
trip out of Colmar to an outlying village of Eguisheim, which is known
for the Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul (a 13C chapel) and several
Alsatian wine producers, as the shuttlebus the city offered was over
capacity & ran too infrequently.  But it is just as well though, as many
of the Eguisheim visitors were loading up their cars with cases of wines
to drive home; carting away a lot isn't really an option when flying.

-hh