Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vb2kip$1kfr2$1@dont-email.me>

From: HenHanna <HenHanna@devnull.tb>
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: Did Shakespeare know Greek? -- Appetite came from (Greek) Piptein
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2024 13:59:03 -0700

On 8/30/2024 7:59 PM, Ross Clark wrote:
> On 28/08/2024 1:26 a.m., LionelEdwards wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Aug 2024 10:32:01 +0000, HenHanna wrote:
>>

>>> one fav. line (form Shakespeare)  is :
>>>
>>> DUKE ORSINO
>>>              If music be the food of love, play on;
>>>              Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
>>>              The appetite may sicken, and so die.
>>>              That strain again! it had a dying fall:
>>>
>>> Appetite (has a FALL in it) ???
>>
>> The strain (the music) falls off towards the end with
>> sweet discord and all that.
>
> The "fall" (ending) is called in more technical musical terminology a
> "cadence", ultimately from Latin cadere 'to fall'.

A dying fall in music refers to a phrase or passage that gradually
diminishes in volume, intensity, or emotional impact. It's often
characterized by a slow, descending melody or a subtle fading of sound.
This technique can create a sense of melancholy, longing, or resolution
at the end of a piece.

The term is derived from Shakespeare's play "Hamlet," where the
character Ophelia sings a song that includes the line "And I had rather
hear a senseless sound than a sweet note that speaks so loud of a dying
fall." This line implies a preference for a simple, mournful sound over
a complex one that evokes strong emotions.

In music, a dying fall can be achieved through various means, such as:

Diminuendo: Gradually decreasing the volume of the music.
Rubato: Playing with a flexible tempo, slowing down towards the end.
Pedal tones: Sustaining a long note while playing other harmonies above it.
Harmonics: Playing soft, ethereal sounds by lightly touching the strings
of an instrument.