Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vb452c$2qcil$1@dont-email.me>

From: Thomas Koenig <tkoenig@netcologne.de>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Address bits again, Article on new mainframe use
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2024 10:46:36 -0000 (UTC)

John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> schrieb:

> It is true that the -11 died for lack of address space, but nobody I
> know has ever come up with a good design where the address size is
> bigger than the word size.  You end up with segments as on the 286
> or bank switching which is what later -11's did.

What about the 6502?  That was very much a 8-bit CPU, but
cleverly used its zero page as index registers.  Or all the other
8-bit CPUs, which usually had 16-bit address registers.

People could have built CPUs with 16-bit accumulators and 32-bit
addresses (or 8-bit accumulators and 32-bit addresses).  It is
debatable if these would have counted as a good design, though.

> VAX stood for Virtual Address Extension.  The key improvement was the
> 32 bit addresses.  Everything else was a detail.  Some of those details
> were unfortunate but that's a different argument.
>
> Also don't forget that back in that era everyone who had disks used
> overlays. The IBM mainframe linkers had complicated ways to build
> overlays and squeeze programs into 64K or whatever.

Overuse of overlays almost sank OS/360.  Brooks recounts that,
on a high-end machine, the FORTRAN compiler would have compiled
only a few lines per minute.  It was caught in time by simulation.

But the MVS linker was slooooooooooow.  I remember waiting for fifteen
to 30 minutes of wall time for a link step to complete, on a much
later model.

> Even though the
> address space was 16MB it was a long time before machines had that much
> RAM and by then they'd added paging to make the physical memory size less
> relevant.

Browsing through Wikipedia, it seems the biggest memory on a /360
was 6 MB.