Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vb8ni8$3mtaf$1@dont-email.me>

From: Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz>
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: Word of the day: ?Papoose?
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2024 16:26:39 +1200

On 4/09/2024 12:10 p.m., Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 04/09/24 01:53, Steve Hayes wrote:
>
>> Yes, 'twas the Wikipedia reference that gave me the impression that
>> the "child" usage was common in the USA, and, as Peter Moylan points
>> out, in Australia. Elsewhere it seems to be understood primarily as
>> a child holder.
>
> Well, I'm not sure about "common in Australia". The word is rare here in
> either meaning; we know it only from North American sources.

And let me point out that the North Americans themselves know it only
from "certain sources". It's not an everyday word. It's part of a
special vocabulary they have read or seen used (historically) with
reference to Indians (along with "squaw", "brave", "wampum", "how!" and
others). That's the reason for a certain vagueness about its meaning.