Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vbbpma$8uee$1@dont-email.me>

From: Rolf Mantel <news@hartig-mantel.de>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Colnago Dream HP.
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2024 10:21:39 +0200

Am 04.09.2024 um 18:45 schrieb Jeff Liebermann:

> I then asked a nearby Highway Patrol officer why the courts
> preferred to use blood alcohol instead of various tests for
> coordination such as walking a straight line with eyes closed or
> touching one's nose with eyes closed.  He answered that those tests
> don't stand up in court.

Well, if the law says "drunk driving is forbidden" you get into lots of
arguments what constitutes "drunk" (walk the line, whatever? Some cannot
walk the line when sober).
If the law says "BAC over 0.08% and you lose your licence", there's no
room for argument.  But then you need a blood test to prove the crime,
walking the line is not documentation of BAC.

> I then asked why not just use a breath analyzer test instead of a
> BAC test.  He indicated that the BAC tests are more accurate and
> less likely to be challenged in court.

Again, when the law says "BAC" then BAC must be presented.  In Germany,
they use a breath analyzer as a roadside tool to determine whether to
drive you to the labs for a BAC test.  Breath analyzer has false
positives e.g. when the person has drunk some alcohol (even when the
person was eating some minty sweets) immediately before the test.

Rolf